User Tag List

Thread: The dragon of the butterfly world

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Default The dragon of the butterfly world

ID: Common nawab butterfly caterpillar

One of the most aggressive looking caterpillars, this dragon like caterpillar belongs to the Nawab family and with that tentacle like protrusions it almost resembles a dragon, giving this tame caterpillar a very menacing look, probably a way to keep itself safe from the predators. Another interesting fact is the way it blends in the natural surroundings, especially while feasting on the acacia plants, the patterns on the leaves and texture and coloration on its body almost makes them invisible to casual sight, a way to stay away from unnecessary attention. These tend to gobble upon the host plants, at such a rate that small plants almost go bald with just stems left behind, while it grows, getting ready for the next phase of metamorphosis. The way the yellow tipped limbs transform into tiny protrusions and later into the tentacle like horns was very interesting.

EXIF:
    Canon 80D
    Canon 100mm macro
    F/14
    Shutterspeed 1/250
    ISO 500
    Handheld, External flash fired

Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

This fellow looks straight out of a science fiction movie. At macro distances the depth of field is always low. So despite f14 aperture, the depth of field doesn't cover the head. Nevertheless, the subject stands out due to the dark background due to the rapid light fall off from the flash. The overall image has come out well. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
    Sabyasachi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agree this direct angle makes it look like a dragon . Good details on the head area. The water droplets give an idea of the habitat. It belnds nicely with the leaves. I think a vertical composition would also work here. Thanks for sharing the detailed information.

Thread Information