User Tag List

Thread: One step at a time….

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Default One step at a time….

ID: Common Mormon caterpillar

I guess one of the thoughts in your mind will be what’s the relation of the caption with this image? Well, for context, this is a butterfly caterpillar, mostly of common mormon butterfly, on a lemon plant’s leaf, planted in the home garden (and to add it, located at 14th floor). If anyone visits Ovalekarwadi butterfly garden, Rajendra Ovalekar Sir has just a simple request, no matter where you live, plant the seeds of the fruits, like lemon, mango etc. in your own house, and after it grows into a small sapling, transplant it into the society’s garden(if at all available) or in any of the gardens in the locality, as this small step, small gesture adds to the necessary biodiversity for the ever existing insect biodiversity to flourish.
    This frame is one such example, where I could spot 4 caterpillars feasting on the new leaves of the small plant of lemon, seeds of which my daughter had collected, almost a year back and planted it, based on Ovalekar sir’s advice. Even though the other three seemed to have disappeared, probably fell prey to the birds or other predators, this one, feasting on the inner side of the plant, survived, and is growing on a daily basis. Hopeful that we can enjoy experiencing/observing the whole lifecycle as it keeps on transforming

EXIF:
    Canon 80D
    Canon 100mm macro
    F/13
    Shutterspeed 1/200
    ISO 400
    Handheld, external flash fired

#bigbutterflymonth
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its good to have local species planted than other exotic flowering plants. We too have lemon and mango tree in our garden . Nice close-up. Look forward to see photographs of its transformations. Thanks for sharing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Good to see this. Just document it and put the date of capture so that we know how it evolves.

Most of last year I was in Bhubaneswar and had set up plants on our rooftop. Even grew pumpkin. I experimented with keeping all vegetable peels and tea leaves residues as compost and was able to attract snails, butterflies and insects. Give trees a chance and plant them wherever you find space. Creating seed balls in small waste paper pouches and placing in gardens and unused plots will also help growth of trees.

Thread Information