User Tag List

Thread: Conservation Plan for Great Indian Bustards

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Default Conservation Plan for Great Indian Bustards

Conservation Plan for Great Indian Bustards

The Ministry is taking various measures for conservation and protection of Great Indian Bustard in the country, including in Rajasthan. Some important steps in this regard are as follows:

1. The Great Indian Bustard is listed in Schedule-I of the Wild Life (Protection) Act, 1972, thereby according it the highest degree of legal protection from hunting.
    2. Important habitats of Great Indian Bustards are designated as National Parks/ sanctuaries for their better protection.
    3. The species has been identified for conservation efforts under the component ‘Species Recovery Programme’ of the Centrally Sponsored Scheme- Development of Wildlife Habitats. Financial and technical assistance is provided to the State/ Union Territory Governments under the scheme for providing better protection to Great Indian Bustard and its habitat.
    4. Conservation breeding of the Great Indian Bustard has been undertaken in collaboration with Rajasthan, Gujarat and Maharashtra Forest Departments and technical support of Wildlife Institute of India, Dehradun with the aim of building a captive population of the species for release in the wild and promoting in-situ conservation of the species.
    5. Sites for establishment of a conservation breeding centres for the Great Indian Bustard and Lesser Florican birds have been identified in consultation with the Forest Departments of Rajasthan and Gujarat, Wildlife Institute of India and international experts. A satellite conservation breeding facility has been established at Sam, Jaisalmer, Rajasthan.
    6. The Ministry provides financial assistance to the States/ Union Territories under the Centrally Sponsored Scheme: Development of Wildlife Habitats for conservation of wildlife, including for Great Indian Bustard. A proposal was received by the Ministry from the Government of Rajasthan for in-situ conservation of Great Indian Bustard. The Ministry has informed the Government of Rajasthan that the proposal should be approved by the State Board for Wild Life for consideration of funding support from State plan and / or State CAMPA funds.

This information was given by Minister of State for Environment, Forest and Climate Change, Shri Ashwini Kumar Choubey in a written reply in the Lok Sabha on 27th March, 2023.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information