ContactUs

User Tag List

Thread: 12 tigers missing from Rajaji national park

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 12 tigers missing from Rajaji national park

DEHRADUN: Nearly 12 tigers have gone missing from the Rajaji national park, forest department officials said on Monday.

According to official sources here the latest estimate of the park authorities suggest that there are only 10-12 tigers left in the area, which had a total population of 24 according to the 2005 census.

In 2008 census, the tiger count in Rajaji park mentioned presence of only 10-12 tigers on the basis of modern census using latest techniques like camera traps.

Director Rajaji park SS Raisili said, "The data of 2005 census was based on only pugmark imprints. But the census carried out by Wildlife Institute of India has given the figure of 10-12 tigers based on modern techniques."

In 2005, tigers vanished from Sariska wildlife sanctuary creating big worries before the Centre that prompted Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to set up a special task force on the conservation of tigers.

This article can be found at http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/h...ow/5116833.cms
    Regards,
    Bibhav Behera
    www.bibhavbehera.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

The pugmark based method of census failed because the results were manipulated. Each sanctuary and tiger reserve official wanted to show that the forest under his jurisidiction is healthy. So we don't know whether there were 20-24 tigers in Rajaji in 2005. However, we should keep in mind that if the habitat is good ie. if the prey base is good and if there is less of biotic pressures then more tigers can live there.

The news item didn't mention incidences of poaching, habitat destruction, grazing, wood cutting etc. I hope our popular media do a better job in reporting. May be we can educate them.

Sabyasachi

Thread Information