ContactUs

User Tag List

Thread: Decline in bird sightings causes concern

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Default Decline in bird sightings causes concern

Sharing an intresting observation from the Kerala Bird Race-2009 held here on Sunday. Natures ratification of the stand that the wetlands of the state are disappearing faster than what the official records state . Recently the State Govt was patting itself on the back for a supposed improvement in mangrove habitats and reduced loss of wetlands... :

" The presence of avifauna with dry lands as their natural habitat is
    increasing across the State, which points to a possible desertification of
    large parts of wetlands, according to a report of the Kerala Bird Race-2009 "

http://www.hindu.com/2009/11/17/stor...1758060200.htm

Roopak

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Roopak,
    Thanks for bringing it to our notice. It is certainly interesting. Most of the times bird watchers count the number of species and the matter ends there. I am happy that someone has analysed the data.

We humans may fail to notice but our flora and fauna recognise the changes taking place in an area. It is a matter of concern that wetlands are vanishing. In most of the places we are draining the wetlands or are blocking the canals, storm water from filling up the wetlands. It is found that most of the times, unrestrained and unplanned human habitations are the culprit. We don't realise the importance of wetlands. And to make matters worse, we don't have enough documentation. I wish, all of us move with our cameras (need not be high end SLRs) and document the places around us.

Sabyasachi

Thread Information