User Tag List

Thread: Canon 40D or Nikon D5000

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile Canon 40D or Nikon D5000

Dear Friends,

I love Canon and now want to switch to SLR System My first selection is Canon 40D. but recently I come across Nikon D5000 SLR camera. My budget for SLR Body is between 40-50k. Is it worth considering D5000 compare to 40D. or is it good idea to change the Brand from Canon to Nikon...as I'm using Canon S3 IS at the moment, so used to software of canon....I think I stick to Canon

Does anyone know what is the price of Canon 40D...? and Please suggest other good SLR body from Canon for long run in my budget and for easy wildlife photography and completable with all series of canon lens too. I'm really confused as so many new products are now available... and I don't want to upgrade my SLR very soon too.

Your help be much appreciated

All best wishes,

Cheers, Rahul
    Last edited by Rahul Parekh; 09-01-2010 at 09:57 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Rahul,
    Good to hear that you are upgrading. No idea why I always get so much of pleasure when someone is buying SLR.

Both Canon and Nikon are good brands. You can't go wrong with these two brands.

The point to be considered is the cost and availability of lenses. The lenses of Nikon are much more costlier compared to Canon. For eg. the Nikon 500mm is 2000 USD ie. about a lakh of rupees costlier than the canon 500mm. Also, one can't buy the Nikon teles off the shelves. Their availability is always an issue. One needs to wait.

Also, any one who has used a canon compact camera can easily use the canon DSLRs. The interface is similar. So it would be better for you to stick to canon.

It is better to buy a camera and add on lenses whenever you feel the need. These cameras will last for a long time. The Canon 40D is a 10 MP camera and produces some nice files. I think you can get a second hand Canon 40D at around 25-30k in India now. I am sure people are upgrading with the arrival of the 7D.

I have printed and sold 20” by 30” prints from a 6.3 MP EOS 10D camera. So a 40D will work fine for a long time. Of course the lens is an important factor. Is your budget 50k for camera or camera plus lens combine?

Cheers,
    Sabyasachi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Rahul,

Canon 40D is a good camera. I think presently its cost is around 40K. Nearly all the canon lenses are compatible with it. It should come in your budget.

New lenses you can keep adding as per your requirement, the camera will last for a long time.
    Regards,
    Mrudul Godbole

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A second hand 40D would be a good bet in that range if you can get your hands on one. In the same price range you may also try the EOS 500D which has HD video capabilities too. But yes in terms of performance a 40D/50D would be better.
    Regards,
    Bibhav Behera
    www.bibhavbehera.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is lovely information I received form you my friends Thank you so much...

@ Sabyasachi, Mrudul & Bibhav: Yes, its really fun to even think about having a DSLR. May be one reason is SLR satisfy all the needs of Photographer and that gives great pleasure to mind...and also, with Big SLR Gun one feel Professional in the field too. A boost for the passion

As you said Nikon is expensive and lens are not available easily in the market. I'll GO with Canon for long run & vast range of lens selection. Canon 40D is almost final and I get good review from you and also I've seen really very lovely outcome from this camera with different lenses and many professionals using this in a great way...I've also found most of the Wildlife Photographers using Canon compare to Nikon in India.

At this point I set my budget for DSLR + Lens to Rs. 100k as I manage to save this much money by the time (but still I would love to save from my budget too) . I thought is good to buy good quality DSLR body as I don't want to upgrade it for few years so set budget to 40-50k for body only so I have good camera on my hand and for lens, budget is 50-60k.

I'm really flying by reading I can buy second hand 40D in 25-30k so can increase budget for lens but is it reliable to buy second hand camera!!!! i.e. I'm afraid with the defective piece, poor handling etc...OR Is it good idea to buy new 40D and buy second hand lens. as I will upgrade the lens as soon as I'll save more money for my dream lens Canon 300mm 2.8 + 1.5/2x converters ha!ha!

I'm thinking for 50/150/170 - 500mm sigma lens for bird photography at the moment. Is it good lens in my budget and is it compatible with 40D? I don't know about performance of these lens in the field at all. I only know is it gives 500mm to reach the birds at economical price!!!!

Please guide me to choose good lens for bird photography in my budget of 50-60k for lens. Is there any chances to have Canon lens for bird photography in my budget? My primary aim of the photography is to capture detailed textures of fur, feather and skin from distance for my wildlife art references.

@Bibhav: I've checked the 500D but as you said 40D is best for still images, I'll go for it. Re. video, In my S3 I've this facility and can create CD quality video for reference, movement and fun

All best wishes,

Cheers, Rahul
    Last edited by Rahul Parekh; 10-01-2010 at 12:24 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Rahul,
    The second hand market in India is not well developed as compared to countries like Singapore, US etc. In those places, people mention even the slightest of scratches in the equipment. You ought to be exercise some caution while buying second hand. Ofcourse, it is easier to check the output. You can click a few shots and then check to satisfy that the camera is in good condition.

The Sigma 170-500 gives you the reach at a cheaper price. However, remember that you get what you pay. The maximum aperture (that is widest lens opening) in the sigma lens is f6.3. So you lose some light as opposed to a lens like the 100-400 where the maximum aperture is f5.6. However, the Canon 100-400 is costlier. So you can start with the 170-500. When you are ready, you can sell off this lens and go for the 300 f2.8 plus converters. Remember that Sigma makes the same version of the lens for Canon, Nikon etc. The nikon version of the sigma lens won't fit with the canon. So while buying, you have to check that it is the Canon version compatible with the EF mount.

I think the Canon EF 100-400 f4.5-5.6 lens is around 80k. The Canon 300mm f4 L IS USM
    would be around 65k INR. A 1.4x tele would be around 13-14k.

Cheers,
    Sabyasachi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dear Sabyasachi & Friends,

Sorry for the belated reply. Actually was searching about lens and gain some knowledge as I never take it seriously before....

Yes, I do feel that to purchase second hand goods is risky business unless having from very reliable & trustworthy sources. Now only option is to have brand new purchase of camera and lens and no more saving from my budget

Thank you so very much for your guidance for lens. I think at the moment no lens from Canon is in my budget for bird photography, and I don't think any Canon lens will give me enough reach with converter too in my price range...

I learned that sigma 150-500 is upgraded version of 170-500. Hope this might be better lens compare to 170-500. I visited some review websites & forums. They says AF of this lens is not good but gives good results with manual focus & tripod and also not good for moving objects!!!! Oh! my Birds ha!ha! Some photographers says this lens works better between f8-f14 aperture value....

I love if you and my friends throw some lights on this and help me to choose one good lens for me. If anyone here is using these lens, please let me know your views & experience. I also want to see the images taken with these lenses so I've some better idea. I'm completely blind & confused in lens matter...

I think my wildlife art is easy compare to choosing a lens ha!ha!

All best wishes,

Cheers, Rahul

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For arnd 100,000 you can get a 1000D with 300f4 L IS and 1.4x TC which will give you 420mm along with good quality. That might be a better option than a sigma.
    I just bought the combination. But of course you compromise on the body in that case, but the lens will stay with you for life.
    Regards,
    Bibhav Behera
    www.bibhavbehera.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

Dear Bibhav,

Many Congratulations for your new EOS System. Have a lovely pictures with this one too. I'll wait for the pictures. You are so lucky you have both Canon and Nikon in your bag .

Yes, you are right. 300mm f4 is certainly best lens for photography and I must say Sigma is poor man's delight. I also want Good Canon lens for its performance and for this I've delayed my plan for DSLR too, but I think I still have to wait for more time & money to have it .

What about the performance at 2x converter (600mm) with Canon 300mm F4 lens. Is it nearer to the sigma 500mm zoom lenses?

Your lens selection is wonderful for life time investment but as you said 1000D is compromise. I think different way here. I believe good camera is essential if I want to use it for long period of time (yes, care and good handling is must). If I upgrade my lens (and I'll do it for sure) in future than 1000D will not be the ideal camera for high performance lens. At that time I've again need to invest in new camera, so more money in equipments...and this is not possible for me to invest my funds regularly in all equipments to upgrade it . If I've good camera than I need to only worry for the new lens only. Moreover I don't like to sell my old gadgets. I adore them. If they will be useless in future then I'll keep them for memories ha!ha!

If I select 300mm f4 at the moment than I've to delay my plans for sure as I won't compromise on body and also need to drop my dream to have 2.8 version in future too...I want this lens at this gives awesome quality & details (my main requirement) at 600mm with converter at less money compare to other Canon big guns for that I can't even dream of!!!!

All best wishes,

Cheers, Rahul

Quote Originally Posted by Bibhav Behera View Post
    For arnd 100,000 you can get a 1000D with 300f4 L IS and 1.4x TC which will give you 420mm along with good quality. That might be a better option than a sigma.
    I just bought the combination. But of course you compromise on the body in that case, but the lens will stay with you for life.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this may be a very late reply,..
    i would like to add a point or two in above discussion..
    -dslr body is not very important,you can go for a cheaper body.
    -prime lenses are always preferable but if budget is tight you can consider cheaper lenses.
    -sigma 150-500 is heavy,you can not carry it around for long time,also it's stabilizer takes time to get stabilized.
    -eventhough sigma150-500 or tamron 200-500 are f-6.3 (max) at long end,youcan get f-5.6 at 450 mm.
    -i use tamron 200-500 for last year and am happy.you can see my images on this forum.
    -best of luck.
    Dr. J.S.Katre
    Dr.Jitendra Katre

Thread Information