User Tag List

Thread: Croc population on the rise in Bhitarkanika

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Croc population on the rise in Bhitarkanika

A positive sign...

KENDRAPADA: Forest officials have sighted 1,610 estuarine crocodiles, including three measuring more than 20 feet in the water bodies of Bhitarkanika National Park during their week-long census.
    DFO (Bhitarkanika) Prasanna Kumar Behera on Thursday said their recent census report indicates that the population of the endangered reptiles has marginally increased from last year's 1,572 crocodiles.

"The census was conducted by forest officials, environmentalists, NGOs and locals between December 31 - January 8, during which the park was closed for visitors.

Out of 1,610 crocodiles, 519 were hatchlings, 373 yearlings, 298 juveniles 150 sub-adults, 270 adults and two giant crocodiles measuring more than 20 feet were found during the reptile census, the forest officer said. "We also counted seven crocodiles that were about 18 to 20 feet long, 25 that were from 14 to 16 feet long and 12 between 12 feet and 18 feet," he added.

Sixty-four salt water crocodile nesting sites were spotted in the creeks, nullahs and river network under Bhitarkanika National Park by the forest officials four months ago during the nesting season.

The officials found a total of around 50 to 60 eggs in each nesting site. All the eggs had hatched in the natural process last month.

In 1975, the ministry of forest and environment, in collaboration with UNDP, started a crocodile breeding and rearing project in Dangamala at Bhitarkanika. Thanks to the success of the project, the crocodile population started increasing in the creeks, rivers and other water bodies inside the park and nearby areas, the forest officer said.

Four years ago, Bhitarkanika's 23-foot-long salt water crocodile figured in the Guinness Book of World Records as the world's largest crocodile, the forest officer added.

Bhitarkanika is also home to an albino crocodile, "Gori", which was the mascot of the recent National Youth Festival in Bhubaneswar.

The article may be found at http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...ow/5453800.cms
    Regards,
    Bibhav Behera
    www.bibhavbehera.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Good to know that the salt water crocodile population is rising. I hope that the estimation is correct. Thanks for the information.

Cheers,
    Sabyasachi

Thread Information