ContactUs

User Tag List

Thread: All about OWL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default All about OWL

Owls are nocturnal hunting birds with eyes that face forwards. They are closely related to hawks. Owls sleep during the day and emerge at night to hunt small prey.

There are about 162 different species of owls alive today, inhabiting a huge variety of ecological niches, from rainforests to tundra.

Anatomy
    Owls have a large head and large eyes that face forwards (unlike other birds, whose eyes are on the sides of their head). This eye placement gives them binocular vision and very precise depth perception. Also, there are circles of radiating feathers surrounding each eye, giving them a wide-eyed, alert look.

Owls cannot move their eyes within their sockets like we can. In order to look around, they have to move their entire head, which has a range of movement of about 270°.

Some owls have feathered ear tufts; these are not ears, but are part of the owl's camouflage.
    Prey and Hunting
    Owls are carnivores that hunt during the night (they are nocturnal). They use their keen sense of sight to find prey in the dark (owls see mostly in black and white). They have an acute sense of hearing which also helps in finding meals. Owls are stealth hunters, they can easily sneak up on their prey since their fluffy feathers give them almost silent flight.
    Owls have two methods of hunting
    Perch and pounce - the owl waits on a low tree branch until it spots prey. It then swoops down onto the prey. This method is used often by owls that live in relatively dense forested areas.
    Quartering - the owl flies low over the ground looking for prey. This methods is used often by owls that live in relatively clear landscapes.
    Owls hunt and eat rodents, insects, frogs, and birds. The owl is at the top of the food web; it has no major predators.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Rakesh, I am not able to see the picture.. Not sure if there is a problem with my browser or problem with attachment upload. Please check

Anu

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Anuradha Nautiyal View Post
    Hi Rakesh, I am not able to see the picture.. Not sure if there is a problem with my browser or problem with attachment upload. Please check

Anu
    hi anu
    i could not find any uploader of my photographs .i requested to moderator and they give me a thread like http://indiawilds.com/forums/showthr...8&goto=newpost but i am again confused and could nt find any uploader button switch or any thing else to upload it
    i think it is not user friendlly how can i use this thread to upload my pixx
    kindly help me
    rakesh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Default Uploading Photos

1. Click on new thread.
    2. Click on the clip symbol to the right of the smiling face.
    3. A new window appears (you can see it in the attached screen shot)
    4. Click on the Choose File button on the left to select the file from your computer.
    5. Click on the upload button on the right.

Remember, that the file size should be less than 200kb and the the longest side should be 800 pixels.

Let me know if you still have some issues in uploading.

Cheers,
    Sabyasachi
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A very informative post. It was nice to know so much details about owls and their behaviour. It would be great to see your photographs. Look forward to more.
    Regards,
    Mrudul Godbole

Thread Information