ContactUs

User Tag List

Thread: Elephant Attack

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Elephant Attack

Elephant attack - Mudumalai. It was around 8:00 AM when my friend (Kannan) and I set off from Masinagudi for a drive upto Bandipur. Just past Theppakad, the I-10 ahead of our car suddenly veered to the right and fortunately the Qualis from the other side was far away. Out of the thick undergrowth, emerged this elephant, with a shrill trumpet.

As it missed the I10, our car was right behind and it charged straight into us. We quickly reversed and floored the pedal for a good 500 meters before it retreated.

I had just about time to grab my camera (which was lying on the back seat . . . a cardinal error in the forest) and shoot a few snaps as the Elephant was taking a few steps back. As we drove past it, we found it had a little wounded calf in the bushes and hence the charge . . .

400D, f5.6, 1/100 ISO 200, Canon 75 - 300

Rajan
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A sad, regular incident on that road... drivers hardly stick to the 40 kmph speed limit and honk and litter a lot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Absolutely, in fact, on our return trip, the forest guards at the check post said that the chances of a truck injuring the calf was a high possibility, for they had driven by earlier and noticed a kind of a yellow mark (possibly paint) on the calf !!! They had reported it to the Vet and were awaiting his arrival (from Gudalur) later in the day.

Rajan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I think the calf was hit by a truck or bus. That explains the aggressive behaviour displayed by the mom. It happens very often in that road. I would be happy if that road had barricades (you find all kinds of barricades raised by the police on the road displaying advertisements of Nalli saris and others) in cities like Mysore, Bangalore etc where it is not required.

I won't mind if the road passing through Bandipur and Mudumalai is not well maintained. Atleast, that would stop people from driving fast.

People need to be educated about throwing rubbish and honking. The forest guard can tell people driving past the check gate.

Rakesh Dhareshwar Guest

Such a sad incident . The people who use that road seem to use it also like a picnic spot. They stop in between, sit on the grass and have their food.
    I have also seen they do not care for the forest guards . 2-3 incidents of arrests and jail would get the deterrant going. All what will be needed then , are huge billboards with the number of people arrested and put behind bars. It worked here in Mumbai with 'drunken driving'.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is very sad that we are not even letting the animals to live peacefully in jungles..government must take a strict action on those who voliate...........
    In our country law is so baised, if a animal kills human being..it will be called as a man-eater & will be shot by official...but this is not the case with humans who kill animals...those ppl are still roaming free................

Hope our governments will wake-up soon................................

Regards,
    Som.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sad!the stretch bet gundlepet n mudmalai is really becoming critical!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The first thing that strikes about the photograph if I did not read the post is the beautiful forest on both sides of the road.

Kenneth Anderson Nature Society is carrying out Roadkill Awareness Program on weekends in Bandipur. I wonder what else can be done to prevent such incidents from happening?
    Cheers
    Sanjeev

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default from experience

i have travelled that road many a time and have seen many things change, tho one thing has been constant.

the ignorance of people. its always been a great drive through that stretch and yes even we have been charged at before...

the biggest mistake i personally feel is that most people are insensitive towards the fact, taht they are driving through a forest.

i quote an instance. where a herd of elephants were gently crossing the road. so we had stopped to let it pass by.
    and another jeep came filled with people/tourists going to ooty i think.
    they al got out of their vehicle and came running and stood by our car like i t was some show. and after we waited a bit for the elephants to passs.
    i hear these people complaining bout how dare the elephants come on the road. the forest dept. should do something from letting these elephants comin on the road and how dangerous it was.... imagine!

now thats the kinda attitude im talkin bout.. like some one else mentioned the picnics... it is with scant disregard and ignorance most people drive through that forest

i think we need to sensitize people on a much more basic level so all humans in the country atleast have a basic understanding..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I agree. Ignorance is the cause of many problems.

Attaching a photo of woman who had got down from her vehicle at the sight of the elephants. This photo was captured in Mudumalai. It is the same road that links Bandipur to Mudumalai. Unfortunately, these people think that these gentle giants won't hurt them. Some of them feel like moving close and touching them to express their love and affection.

I think people living in bangalore can send this link to their friends and colleagues to increase their awareness.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

" hear these people complaining bout how dare the elephants come on the road. the forest dept. should do something from letting these elephants comin on the road and how dangerous it was.... imagine!
    '
    I have come to believe that its not the education which changes the behaviour of an individual, but the attitude.
    I have met many tribals in MP/Jharkhand forests and was impressed by the amount of respect they show towards their forests and wildlife. Come to think of it, none has ever been to school.
    The maximum damage is caused by the educated well off people living in Urban areas with no sensitivity or respect towards the poor animals.
    The awareness should be imbibed through our educational system, media, films and television.
    Govt should encourage the media and communication through incentives, the way they do so for EOU/EPZs.
    Just a thought.
    Last edited by Mohammed Raheel; 19-03-2009 at 04:50 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mohammed Raheel View Post
    The awareness should be imbibed through our educational system, media, films and television.
    Govt should encourage the media and communication through incentives, the way they do so for EOU/EPZs.
    Just a thought.
    I agree. Tax breaks for increasing environmental awareness or promoting green thoughts is a good idea. The present Govt. is trying its best to show increased collections and they are against any exemptions. May be the next Government would be more responsible.

Cheers,
    Sabyasachi

Thread Information