Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Running the site

Hi Sabyasachi

I am not sure if this is the right link to post this. Pls temper it appropriately.

Being a part of the IT Industry, I can guess what it takes to run a site like this in terms of direct cost implications - Domain registration, hosting space, storage space, renewals etc. From what i can figure out as of now, there seems to be no visible revenue model that supports this structure - apart from the obvious, which i can imagine - is out of your pockets (correct me if i am wrong)

Was wondering if we can collectively see if we can make it self sustainable - atleast for ensuring continuity and more for having a sense of participation (other than just posting away). I am just a couple of months - a Newbee to this forum and i can already vouch for the dramatic improvement that my photograhpy techniques and visualization has gone through - thanks to the advice and guidance of some of the senior forum members. I personally feel, i am learning a lot here and would love to repay in some form or the other.

There are quite a few revenue generation models - Banner ads, run specialized Wildlife photography classes, get sponsorship from equipment manufacturers etc. The easiest is a nominal subcription fee, which i have no aversion to, but i always want to think out of the box and with the collective grey matter of a forum - i sincerly think we can make it possible.

Honestly, i feel, if we succeed at this, we can even generate some additional money to fund a wildlife or an environmental cause.

As i said earlier, i am not even sure if this is the right place to discuss this and my apologies if i am on the wrong topic and wrong place.

regards
    Rajan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hhhmmmm, looks like i am on a sticky wicket. Though there are 16 views, none have replied . . . . not even Saby ?

Rajan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Rajan,
    You have raised an important subject and am happy that you have come forward and raised it. I was waiting to hear from other members.

At the moment there is no revenue model, as you have rightly guessed. I started this, as I felt there was a need for such a forum.

My Professors from my MBA days would perhaps curse me when they hear that an MBA educated fellow can start something without an apparent revenue model. And when it comes from a guy who has designed atleast one business model for an e-business company, this can hardly be pardoned. Well my passion is to be blamed for starting this without a business model. This was in my mind for sometime, but one day I just jumped into it.

Since then, most of the people have stumbled into this place. Ofcourse, I did invite a few people later. So the membership is growing and this place is evolving with more sections.

You are right in guessing the various costs associated with running the site. Some of those I knew, and some I discovered later after I took the plunge. :-)

As far as revenue is concerned, allowing advertisements in the site is one option. However, the amount of money that will come from ads is pretty less. Nevertheless, I think we should explore that.

I agree that the easiest thing is to charge a nominal subscription/membership fee. I would like to hear the views of others.

In abroad, most of the photographers understand the value of taking a workshop with an experienced photographer. We can certainly conduct wildlife workshops and classes in different locations for our interested members.

Sponsorships is also an option to be explored. I am waiting to hear from other members on this issue as well as some innovative ideas.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Conservation is about being an activist and contributing in meaningful ways. IndiaWilds being a vehicle of such a good cause, encourages me to invest my time as well as thought in its causes. I think membership fee or photography lessons should be a good idea.

Do let us know how we can go about it

Ranbir

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I echo Ranbir's sentiments.
    Cheers
    Udai Bisht

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Saby

Though we have just 2 responses as of now (thanks Ranbir and Udai) i think, we should get started with this and hope more people join in as we go along.

For starters, can we have an approximate idea of the fixed costs (Domain, hosting, space etc) and we can start working with an approximate target in mind ?

Forum members at Chennai can possibly get together (not necessarily to discuss funding options, but more to help know each other). Pick a date (preferably by this month or the first week of next - i have a couple of weeks travel after the 8th April) and i will play host to this at either Cosmopoliton Club or MCC over dinner and drinks.

For the other members (outside of Chennai) though you are welcome to drop by for the dinner and drinks, we can have a conference call set up (i can work a conference bridge ith a dial in and passcode) and we can set the ball rolling . . . .

regards
    Rajan

Thread Information