Thread: Reserves alone cannot save tigers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Reserves alone cannot save tigers

An article about Tiger conservation.

Reserves alone cannot save tigers

As member secretary of the National Tiger Conservation Authority (NTCA), Rajesh Gopal has been at the forefront of the battle to save the tiger for nearly a decade. As the precarious fate of the feline grips the nation’s imagination, he shares the failures, threats and the road map India must take, if we are to save the tiger. Edited excerpts:

Only 1,411 tigers after over 35 years of Project Tiger—the lowest number ever—has led to the belief that the project is a failure.

The common perception is numbers have plummeted to 1,411 (from about 3,700 in 2002); that tigers are dying, everything is doomed. And that Project Tiger has failed. I beg to differ; Project Tiger is not a failure.

The refined estimation method using a different methodology has given a realistic picture of tiger status. It also clearly showed that whatever tigers we have today are inside tiger reserves; the protection rendered by the project has saved the tiger. What we have not succeeded in is saving tigers in unprotected areas.

But aren’t we losing tigers at unprecedented rates?

Yes, I am not denying the crisis, but the answer is complex. I would look at it like this—we have good source or breeding population in reserves such as Corbett, Dudhwa in the Terai or Kanha-Pench-Tadoba in central India, Nagarhole, Bandipur, Mudumalai in the Western Ghats, besides Kaziranga, Sundarbans and a few others.

While these populations are vulnerable, what we are mainly losing is the sink, or tigers outside reserves. The quality of forests outside reserves cannot sustain tigers. There is immense human dependence on forest resources—grazing, development infrastructure, no protection, no prey base—which also leads to bitter man-animal conflict. Poachers capitalize on this resentment and help the villagers rid themselves of the tiger.

Unsustainable land use outside reserves that doesn’t factor in tiger concerns is killing tigers. Any conservation strategy must consider the behaviour and the ecology of the animal—how tigers breed, multiply, move out, which is essential for the genetic vitality and viable populations—and get killed.

What I am trying to stress is we cannot save tigers by just managing tiger reserves. We have to think beyond that, at the landscape level, and manage the land use around tiger reserves.

The answer raises other questions: but first, poaching. Demand from China (for tiger skin and body parts) is killing tigers, but doesn’t our protection leave a lot to be desired?

China must contain its demand and halt tiger farming farming, which puts pressure on wild tigers. We are in dialogue with them, and the response is encouraging.

Yes, I agree. Slack protection and poor leadership has cost us dear, we have lost tigers—and even caused local extinction. We are trying to address these. I think good leadership is the key factor which makes or breaks a park. I would go as far as to say that we should give weightage to officers who have a passion for the job; merely passing an exam does not ensure that you have what it takes to save the tiger.

NTCA has emphasised on creating buffer zones, yet state governments are reluctant to notify these.

Buffer zones around core areas are the filter between human and tiger habitats, and are imperative to tiger survival, especially as human-tiger conflict escalates. About 25 reserves out of the current 39 do not have buffers.

It is a difficult task; ultimately the land belongs to the states, so unless the Centre and the state are on the same wavelength and the importance that we give to tiger conservation is equalled by the states, it doesn’t work. For states to come on board, we need the involvement of chief ministers.

Are the chief ministers involved?

Well, let’s say there is scope. However, our minister (Union environment and forests minister Jairam Ramesh) has made a lot of effort and this has made a difference. The states have been responsive. The active pursuance of the minister had Maharashtra declare a buffer zone for Tadoba, which had been delayed for years.

There are exceptions, though. Uttar Pradesh and Bihar are still to declare the core critical tiger habitat, which is essentially denying the reserve legal sanctity.

In Simlipal (Orissa), we have a problem of left-wing extremism but the state hasn’t responded to repeated requests to move paramilitary forces there. This reflects a lack of sensitivity to tiger concerns.

There is constant pressure to open up tiger habitats to mining, highways.

Infrastructural and development projects in tiger habitat are the most serious threat. Tiger areas are rich in minerals—coal, uranium, bauxite—so there is demand for mining in buffer and corridors. The Tadoba landscape is totally tattered because of coal and still there are some 40 more power and coal projects proposed!

In Pench, NH-7 (National Highway) threatens to cut through its connectivity with Kanha. In Nagarjuna-Srisailam (Andhra Pradesh), there is pressure for quarrying and mining for uranium. It’s endless. This is not an office for clearance, our mandate is to conserve.

We have mapped crucial tiger habitats and their connectivity, which are already very fragile. We cannot afford to stress these habitats further by mines, roads or any such damaging development activities if we want a future for the tiger. There cannot be any clearances in these areas. Tiger concerns must be factored in any development project in tiger habitats.

Is the current Project Tiger budget, lower than last year’s at Rs196 crore, sufficient for relocating villages from core areas?

Voluntary relocation of villages to create inviolate habitats is a priority and the Central government has enhanced the package to Rs10 lakh per family. Communities are eager to move out, but with 762 villages inside core areas, the current budget is insufficient. The minister has taken this up with the Planning Commission and we hope to have sufficient funds to give relocation a fresh impetus.

Tourism in reserves has created a huge controversy with even the Prime Minister cautioning against intrusive tourism.

I am not against tourism, but the local communities should benefit and it must be regulated, especially in heavily visited parks like Corbett, Kanha, Bandhavgarh, Ranthambhore, etc.

Tourism should be fostered in buffer areas and phased out from core areas to keep disturbance minimal, and the area inviolate for tigers to breed. The number of vehicles far exceeds the carrying capacity of reserves. They surround tigers and it’s usually mayhem.

In Bandhavgarh, tiger tourism was seen at its extreme when a tigress was recently killed by a vehicle. Shamefully, forest staff and local administration is involved. NTCA has advised an unbiased inquiry and the strictest action possible against the offenders. They have killed a tiger in its den—worse, a tigress with cubs. It’s unthinkable, unpardonable, especially in this day and age when we are struggling to save each one.

To get back, there are lodges (and other construction) on vital corridors choking tigers. We don’t allow them to live in, we don’t allow them to live out. It’s unjust, and unacceptable. The ministry of tourism has taken the lead to tackle this problem, and we are working with them on an eco-tourism policy.

Given all these issues, will the tiger survive?

Yes. I am optimistic. It will-and must survive. We will give it all that it takes, but our ministry alone cannot save the tiger. It is a collective responsibility between different arms of the government and the civil society, and unless we walk in unison, it’s going to be very difficult.

Your wish list?

I would like on board, both at the national and at the field level, a sub-cadre of committed professionals in wildlife management and related fields, whether from inside or outside the government. Also, protecting the identified connectivity between the tiger reserves, good leadership, a crack protection team drawn from local communities and intensively trained to effectively counter poaching.

The tiger must not be viewed as a negative or as an impediment to growth. The tiger is India’s life support system—hundreds of rivers flow through tiger reserves, and its forests are a shield against climate change impacts.

©prerna singh bindra, 2010

Link - http://www.livemint.com/2010/06/2819....html?atype=tp
    Regards,
    Mrudul Godbole

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rajesh Gopal has always been open and admits whereever there are issues. This attitude makes him one of the better members of the NTCA. He has first hand experience about tiger reserves as he worked as FD @ Kanha.

It is true that tiger reserves hold maximum number of tigers. However, it should be noted that most of the tiger reserves are in bad shape. The project tiger's focus is now scattered and the well-being of the reserve is eventually dependent on how keen the state is to protect its tigers.

Thread Information