ContactUs

User Tag List

Thread: Elephant charge

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Default Elephant charge

Canon EOS 1D Mark II, Canon EF 300mm f4 L IS USM, ISO 200, f4, 1/320, full frame image.

I was photographing it rubbing itself on a tree, when the elephant decided to charge.

Cheers,
    Sabyasachi
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What an action captured. The look is menacing. It is very difficult to compose with a 300mm lens when the elephant is charging you. You captured it beautifully. Thanks for sharing.
    Regards,
    Mrudul Godbole

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default What's Next?!

You were snorted by a Gaur and now getting charged by an Elephant.....

What's next?!...

Let me guess......

1.A lunging King Cobra....
    2.An agitated tiger about to snatch your 300mm....
    3.A sloth bear who thinks that you are a honey comb....

I will take any one of them...

A good picture of a charging elephant.Good work

Regards

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One can almost feel the tension. Nicely done. I like the subtle tones in this image. The shallow DOF gives a nice feeling. Thanks for sharing.
    Regards,
    Bibhav Behera
    www.bibhavbehera.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Sankar,
    Frankly speaking I don't relish the close encounters. They may appear thrilling, however I would prefer to film and click them when they are going about their normal business.

In Bandipur, the elephants have generally become aggressive as they are often disturbed by people. The other day I saw the herd of elephants about to cross the bandipur-mudumalai road. However, they were prevented from crossing by honking trucks, busses, cars and jeeps. The elephants changed direction but were again blocked by people. The elephants then turned back and went away. These things keep on happening, so the elephants are becoming aggressive. I am also sure, outside the reserve, they would be scared away by people using firecrackers if not shotgun pellets.

This charge happened one day afternoon and the next day morning another juvenile elephant charged at us and then ran and crossed the road. Some day, an elephant might just continue with its charge and topple a vehicle. You can read more about this incident in the article When Wildlife Hits back in the diary section.

Twice I have been charged by tigers. Both the times, I would say it was not the fault of the tiger as the first time one gypsy was blocking its path and I got charged at. And in the second instance, unknowingly I had come inbetween a tigress and her cubs.

The gaur incident normally doesn't happen. They normally run away. Even when I am on foot, I have seen gaur snorting but running away. The naturalist accompanying us told me that he saw this for the first time. I wish I had recorded the sound. :-(

Sloth bear: Hopefully no one comes close to a sloth bear as they can inflict deep scratches while trying to escape. I don't think they are the most intelligent creatures around.

Will post some more images of the charge.

Cheers,
    Sabyasachi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by V S Sankar View Post
    You were snorted by a Gaur and now getting charged by an Elephant.....

What's next?!...

Let me guess......

1.A lunging King Cobra....
    2.An agitated tiger about to snatch your 300mm....
    3.A sloth bear who thinks that you are a honey comb....

I will take any one of them...

A good picture of a charging elephant.Good work

Regards
    Nice shot, Sabyasachi.... and yes I too would like to know what next...??? I know of u being chased by a tiger... and a close encounter with a cobra family.... now a gaur and elephant.... now all u need to complete this pic is being swooped up by an eagle..... ;-p

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chitrita Chatterjee View Post
    Nice shot, Sabyasachi.... and yes I too would like to know what next...??? I know of u being chased by a tiger... and a close encounter with a cobra family.... now a gaur and elephant.... now all u need to complete this pic is being swooped up by an eagle..... ;-p
    I hope I don't get such an experience with an eagle. :-) Most of the times, wildlife encounters are harmful as it raises the stress levels of animals (as well as humans). We often intrude into their territory on some pretext or the other. If we get too close, or knowing or unknowingly block their path or irritate in some manner (as some of the photographers do), the animal is likely to react.

I don't fear them. I respect their power, intelligence, and the love and affection they display towards each other.

Cheers,
    Sabyasachi

Thread Information