Thread: Valara Waterfalls....near Munnar

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Valara Waterfalls....near Munnar

Valara Water falls can be seen on the Cochin-Munnar road.Munnar is a further 45kms from here...

Canon 400d,55-250is,6.3,1/250,iso400

Regards
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Please mention the time of the year when you captured this. So that later you can compare the flow at other times of the year.

The depth of field is good. Due to the fast shutter speed, the water appear to have freezed. Trying the same scene at a slow shutter speed (after mounting the camera on tripod) would have resulted in a different feel. I wish you had been in this place early in the morning. That's the beauty of water falls. You find it different at different times of day and year.

Any idea what is the height of this waterfall? Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
    Sabyasachi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice composition. A still wider view if possible would have been great. I agree with Sabyasachi that going here at different times of the day would give you different moods in the image. A slow shutter speed would have looked good here as well. Thanks for sharing.
    Regards,
    Bibhav Behera
    www.bibhavbehera.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Sabya this photo was taken in July 2010.The height may be around 60meters.

Regards

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Beautiful waterfall. So it seems there was quite good rainfall as the waterfall looks quite big. If you visit it again do try using a slower shutter speed to get a smooth look of the water flow. Thanks for sharing.
    Regards,
    Mrudul Godbole

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As such Idukki is high rainfall district. During rains the waterfalls are full and by end of monsoon, the flow generally is scanty and during height of summer, the flow ceases.

When compared with similar high rainfall - but more forest covered region of Nelliampathy, we find quite less flow in the waterfalls even during torrential rains. The inference is, where deforestation and alteration of natural habitat is more in the form of plantations, perculation is less and water drains off fast in these forms of torrents. In areas where forest cover is intact, water gets stored to ensure flow all through the year.

Sabyasachi's idea of recording annual rainfall is very good. In fact, if done more professionally by measuring through rain gauge - if we have means, nothing worth more than it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Valara Falls....2008

Thanks for the interest shown on this waterfalls.Here is a picuture of the same waterfalls taken in June 2008.

Again the same time of the year.What I have noticed is that the amount of water more or less remains the same as far as this waterfall is concerned.There is a check-dam upstream and may be that is the reason.

There is yet another falls further down from this one and I would think it gives a good measure of the effect of rainfall on the amount of water......

Regrds
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information