ContactUs

User Tag List

Thread: Goof-up as 15-ft snake let out in SGNP

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Default Goof-up as 15-ft snake let out in SGNP

MUMBAI: Forest officials at the Sanjay Gandhi National Park (SGNP) are on the lookout for an exotic snake species -- the world's longest snake --that was accidentally released in the park by a snake lover on Tuesday.

The Reticulated Python (Python reticulatus) was released around Tulsi Lake area by Bharat Joshi, a government-certified snake lover along with the forest officials. The nearly 15-ft snake was earlier rescued from the Naval Dockyard, where it was been spotted for the last few months, and was released in Borivli.

However, on Wednesday, after the forest department realised that the endangered species was exotic and found only on Nicobar Islands, they immediately swung into action and started a search operation for the reptile.

Kedar Bhide, an expert on reptiles and president of Reptile Rescue and Study Centre (RRSC), said: "The authentic record of this snake species is only from Nicobar Island. The release of this alien species in the park could wreak havoc on the ecology of SGNP. Releasing such a huge snake in the park, which is not used to local conditions, will obviously affect other snake species.

The snake was believed to weigh around 15 kg. According to forest officials, the snake may have come along with the cargo by ship from Nicobar Islands. Herpetologists state that such a huge snake could easily prey on a medium-sized mammal like a deer. Also, translocating the snake, which is a Schedule- I species, according to the Indian Wildlife Act 1972, to new habitats is clearly prohibited.

Aneesh Andheria, director of Sanctuary Asia, said: "It gets the same amount of protection that a tiger gets. It is absolutely unscientific to release the species in SGNP and there was no way that the snake should have been released here.''

However, park officials deny giving any official permission for the release of the snake in the park. A N Ghevare, assistant conservator of forests (ACF), SGNP, said: "We have not given any official letter for the release of the snake in the park. We have already started an inquiry on the issue and if necessary, we will book the person who released the exotic species in the park.''

In his defence, Bharat Joshi said, "The locals near the Naval docks would have tried to kill such a long snake and I just saved it. I did not have any idea about the snake being an exotic species. Besides, it was the forest department which allowed me to release it in the park.''

To this, Andheria countered, "If the identity of snake was not known, then the rescuer could have easily got it confirmed from an expert. Also, for someone who has been dealing with snakes, it is not that difficult to identity a rare python species in Mumbai.''

The link to the original article: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...ow/6258725.cms

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Frankly speaking there are lot of people who try to rescue snakes out of good will. All of them may not have the required knowledge to identify the species. It is a sad but true fact. I won't condemn the person because, all these snake handling skills are acquired through the person's own initiative. Without such people more number of snakes would have been killed. If we prosecute him, then people will think twice before volunteering.

It is not surprising that the forest department could not identify the species. For most of the field staff its just a job where intellectual capabilities are rarely rewarded.

It would be good if the snake can be captured. It would be a tragedy if the snake is female and pregnant and eludes capture.

I would like to mention that rock pythons have been released in Florida by people who could no longer keep them as pets. There is a huge trade in exotics. People take the small snakes and then later on realise that they can't deal with those and try to release it at the first opportunity. In Florida, the pythons are competing with the aligators to become the apex predator.

I hope the snake is rescued and rather than blame storming, it would be better to use this opportunity to educated everybody about the impact of invasive species.

Sabyasachi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

This shows how bone headed the Fd can be sometimes..instead of trying to find the reptile they are talking about booking the guy who was probably trying to save the snake.

Roopak

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thread Information