ContactUs

User Tag List

Thread: Sangam

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Sangam

Nikon D70 (shortly before it fell into a lake!)
    Nikon AF 18-35mm f3.5-4.5 D
    shot at 18mm
    f16
    1/4 second
    Manual exposure
    200 ISO
    Warm-Up filter

This is quite an old shot, but a heavily saturated view of a famous river at sunset.
    It is quite close to a temple, on the edge of an historic town, yet is still under as much pressure as any stretch of river in the country.

Water - so precious, yet so defiled.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice colours in the sky. I liked the composition. Rivers form a very intergral part of our culture, yet sadly no care is taken to preserve them and keep them clean. Thanks for sharing. Look forward to more.

P.S - We mostly refrain from including any man made structures in the images in the forum.
    Regards,
    Mrudul Godbole

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Fell into a lake? How did it fare after the holy dip?

Nice colours. Slightly less space at the bottom would have strengthened the image. Look forward to more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the comments guys.

Mrudul, you say we try to not include man-made structures, that can cut out a whole load of classic landscape imagery. Thinking of some superb imagery of rice paddy terraces in the Himalayas, also shots with old stone buildings giving scale.
    I appreciate that the forum is mainly concerned with 'wild' India, but isn't it also about the impact of man on the wilds? Most of the protected forest in India is actually old plantation. Not exactly hand-made structure, but rows of teak trees and eucalyptus 'deserts' are as unnatural as any building.
    Hope this is taken in the light-hearted way I have written it, although addressing serious points. Maybe some debate is needed?

Anyway, I like the steps and I'm an ace in a coracle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Hi Steve,
    I understand your point. I too have created landscape images with manmade elements for eg. cultivation among the stark landscape of ladakh, himalaya range etc and they can lend scale as well as be poignant.

Some of the so called greenery of the tea and coffee estates are even more harmful for the environment. We yearn for the pristine wilderness. Unfortunately, we have been cutting across most of the wilderness areas, planting with monoculture, creating concrete structures etc. There is no dearth of imagery about man's harmful impact on nature. The idea behind hosting the wildlife imagery in this forum is to hopefully create some love and understanding about wildlife and wilderness areas.

Cheers,
    Sabyasachi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like this image... well captured... the steps lend character to the shot...

I know the rules abt not posting any man-made structure, or anything artificially made... But here I would make an accepted exception....

Well taken.... look forward to more posts...:-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well captured ! I particularly liked the colours of the sunset, the waves & the ripples on the water !! A very soothing effect indeed ! Tks for posting !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the colours in the image. I dont mind when manmade elements are there in the frame, however in this case it is a very dominant subject.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Regards,
    Bibhav Behera
    www.bibhavbehera.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sabyasachi Patra View Post
    Fell into a lake? How did it fare after the holy dip?
    Completely ruined, but the card survived to give me a few memories of the moments before it went!

Thanks again for all the other kind comments. I will be sure to take some more river shots on my next visit...April 2011

Thread Information