User Tag List

Thread: Waynad forest fires

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Waynad forest fires

Hi

I am reporting this from Ooty. Had planned to get to Gudalur, Wynad and back track to Gudalur and catch up with Vikram at Kabini this week. The plans are now completely haywire with forest fires in the Bandipur sector forcing sanctuaries at Waynad to be closed.

Read this link at "The Hindu"

http://www.hindu.com/2009/03/02/stor...0253870400.htm

There are already reports coming in of huge elephant herds crossing over to the Gudalur range and one of my friends who owns an estate on the borders is having a nightmare with hordes of them raiding the plantation every night in large numbers.

Will be critical for the Bandipur sancturary to help suppliment the additional inflow of animals which are trying to beat the fires.

I am trying to work some contacts at the forest department to get closer to the fires with the forest teams which are trying to contain them and if successful, will post some reports and photos in the next few days.

Rajan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi

Reporting from Ooty again . . .

No luck with getting closer to the fires along with the forest department. Managed to accompany them to Masinagudi yesterday. The vegetation is fast drying up and water is already scarce. Watched a forest dept team fill up a few water holes for the animals yesterday. Later in the night, a couple of small forest fires broke out in the Theppakadu area, which have been quickly doused (a few hectares burnt). The forest staff have thier hands full the next few weeks . . . good luck to them.

Heading home later today.

Rajan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Rajan,

Thanks a lot for the updates.

It is unfortunate that forest fires are causing havoc. Thousands of hectres of pristine forests are getting wiped out in a single stroke. I am pained to hear - what we all know – the state of fire fighting machinery and the preparedness of our forest department in tackling fire.

Is there a contingency planning for fire? I doubt if our forest departments have the capabilities in scientifically studying and preparing themselves for forest fires. I am sure, they can do with some outside help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

During my recent trip to Kabini came across below scene during the evening safari. Found a forest dept jeep parked in the middle of the trail and a few forest officials busy dousing the fires which they had set up on both sides of the trail. Understood from them that the burnt out areas on both sides were to act as buffers, in case of a forest fire break out, and would stop it from spreading any further. Found many such fires in the forest at different places all intended to contain damage in case of a fire break out. (Sorry, couldn't get a wider angle since the min focal length available to me at the time was 100mm)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Udai Bisht; 05-03-2009 at 12:51 PM.
    Cheers
    Udai Bisht

Thread Information