ContactUs

User Tag List

Thread: Elephant portrait

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Default Elephant portrait

I created this image in Kabini when it was coming from behind a tree.

Canon EOS 1D Mark II, Canon EF 400mm f2.8 L IS USM, EF 2xII

ISO 400, f5.6, 1/80. full frame.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I found it very difficult to get a clear shot of most of the elephants I saw in Kabini. Most of the times there were many trees or bushes in the line of view. In this shot you have almost got a clear view of the elephant. That's great. I wish I could get such clear shots. Unfortunately most of my shots would have to be consigned to Recycle Bin due to distractions!
    Cheers
    Udai Bisht

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Udai,
    It is not easy to get shots of elephants in the open due to vegetation. This shot was in the late evening. I had seen elephant herds that day but the shots had lots of distracting branches. In the evening, when we saw these elephants coming, we parked the vehicle expecting the path they will take. After some time these elephants came closer and closer. The trick is to decide where you want to take their shots.

I could have got this shot without the tree as well. I decided to click when the elephant was emerging from behind the tree. So I placed the tree trunk on one side of the frame. Ofcourse, there are two opinions about this tree trunk in this image. Some like it and some don't.

In 2007, I was talking with National Geographic photographer Ed Kashi. He says that in this age when the cost of storage is becoming cheaper and cheaper, it is better to store it than delete the shot. You need to see the shot, ponder over the decision whether to delete or not and that takes at least a minute of your time. When you are shooting hundreds of images, do you need to waste your time in deleting. Also, one of those shots, you may like in a few years time.

Thread Information