contact IndiaWilds
Home
About
Diary
Forums
Gallery
ContactUs

User Tag List

Thread: Informed amatuer...learning to be one..!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Informed amatuer...learning to be one..!!!

Hi all, I am DIPANKAR MAZUMDAR, Architect Townplanner by profession (paapi pet kaa sawal hai..!!!Aur EF 400 f-2.8 bhi to khareedna hai..!!)
    have an avid interest in nature and Photography which i have only recently started translating into a serious weekend passion. At the moment i am using a point and shoot super zoom with a teleconvertor attached to it (A Lumix FZ-18 + TCON 17 Teleconvertor), just for taking " Record pics", Hope to be able to afford a CANON 1D MARK III +the EF above + A few of the things Sabhya Da lists in his equipment...!!!!!
    BTW since i am new to this......I have heard some vague rumors that people of our kind of leanings (the ones fond of roaming in the wilderness..!!) have a decidedly rocky matrimonial life...any denials on this ???
    Last edited by Dipankar Mazumdar; 10-03-2009 at 05:31 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Dipankar,
    Good to know about you. Why don't you upload your photo as well.

In 2002, I had heard an interesting story from an ace wildlife photographer. He was talking about his friend who used to plan his jungle trips but tell his wife that he is going on tour. First step was to get his camera and equipment out of his house a couple of days before his tour. Then on the D-day, he used to get out to jungle pretending to be going on tour. The other secret, is not to tell the cost of your equipment to your family members. On the flip side, you should not mention the cost of your equipment to be too low, as your magnanimous wife my donate it to somebody whom she thinks deserving, as you only go on tour, but not to jungles. :-) Morale of the story, don't over do it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Dipankar

Agree with Saby - especially on balancing the Percieved costs - not too much and not too little.

I also think it is all about balancing time as well. Take my case, as an IT pro, travel is almost an integral part of my profession. Add to this, i have inadvertently picked up a few habits (like Tennis for exercise in the morning - more to keep the Cholestrol away as much as possible) and hobbies (Flying, Golf, Photography) which are all very time consuming, but will need to be in constant touch with atleast on the weekends. Then there is the ISR (Individual social Responsibility) in the form of Environmental forums, society meetings like MNS (Madras Naturalist Society) etc. Time management amongst these and also allocating time for a wife and a demanding 14 year old daughter in my view, is probably an art.

Almost a decade ago, i did have the challenge of a demanding family, when my daughter was just a few years old. I slowly got my wife interested into Birding and environmental aspects, which is now paying off as most of our jungle trips, weekend stints and societiey meetings are together and this kind of balances the whole thing out . . . . .

Rajan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Foto..

A visual tag...!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@ Aditya : Ummm.... We are gonna get there buddy.. that's the sad part
    Regards,
    Bibhav Behera
    www.bibhavbehera.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To convince my wife to allow me to buy 450D + 18-55mm + 55-250mm, I had to quit smoking...phew!

When I upgrade my camera, I fear the liquor too shall have to go...lol!
    Cheers
    Udai Bisht

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Find a like minded wife or behave so badly that she encourages you to spend time out of the house.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bibhav Behera View Post
    @ Aditya : Ummm.... We are gonna get there buddy.. that's the sad part
    I know man.... but I'm going to take Vikram's advice here!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wink

You guys are behaving very badly..... !!! :-p

Imagine what your lives would be without the wives..... Who would look after your homes and hearths without the better half....esp when you guys know you are gonna disappear into the jungles ( or wherever ) every so often....

Another thought comes to mind.... I had always thought that it is the wives that are spendthrifts..and the husbands are constantly crying over huge expenses.....

guys ...guys.... dont grudge her the odd trinket..or saree...or designer jeans... or shoes....!!!! And she wont crib about your grossly overpriced photographic equipment.....

:-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Udai, some tips on quitting smoking please,,
    I have been trying hard for very long,,
    Hope my wife does not read this,, she knows I quit
    Last edited by Mohammed Raheel; 20-03-2009 at 02:53 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mohammed Raheel View Post
    Udai, some tips on quitting smoking please,,
    I have been trying hard for very long,,
    Hope my wife does not read this,, she knows I quit
    Get yourself a hobby that is more compelling than the urge to light up. Then...give yourself the choice between the two!
    Cheers
    Udai Bisht

Thread Information