Thread: IQ of Canon EF 70-200 L IS II wit 2x TC

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default IQ of Canon EF 70-200 L IS II wit 2x TC

Has anyone tried the new Canon EF 70-200 f2.8 IS L version II lens. I am specially interested with the image quality of this lens with a 2x converter against Canon's EF 400mm f5.6 L lens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Hi Gautam,
    I have heard good things about the lens. However, haven't been able to test it. I was not very comfortable with the original 70-200 f2.8 L IS USM lens when paired with a 2xII TC, especially at f5.6. The image quality used to improve at f8. I am sure the new lens would be better. How much better is to be seen.

Cheers,
    Sabyasachi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have one on order and will be taking it on my trip to India. Was just wondering if I should now get rid of my 70-200 f4 L IS and the 400 f5.6 L. I would then be left with the 70-200 f2.8 L IS II and the real workshorse 500 f4 L IS for wildlife photography. In any case it is difficult carrying all this equipment on flights.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I don't think you can carry all. Since you have the 500mm, why do you need the 400f5.6, except perhaps for handholding flight shots?

I think you can manage with the 70-200 f2.8 L IS II USM plus 2x TC. With flight travel, we are forced to reduce our equipment.

Am uploading a shot of my camera bag, which I had clicked with my N97 phone.

It has the 400 f2.8 L IS USM attached to my 1D Mark IV. Mark II on the top left, then 24-70 and 24-105 f4, 300mm f4 L IS, TCs etc. One can easily see that it is not possible to include so many lenses. These days, I am facing problems in carrying the microphone as well. :-( It seems train travel is the best option. :-(

Cheers,
    Sabyasachi
    PS: The latest price of the 70-200 f2.8 L IS II USM in India is rupees 123850 with 2 years India warranty.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for sharing your bag. Is it a Loweprowe phototrecker or a Tamrac? This would be a good thread if members share photos of their carry bags.
    One question though, why you carry both a 24-70 and a 24-105?
    I will post a pic of my bag later today after I receive my new 70-200. I bought it here in Switzerland from a mailorder supply for CHF 2300 roughly INR 108,000, same international guarantee. That reminds me, the camera bags that we carry with its contents has a similar value to a car. I have taken out an insurance for my equipment against theft and loss. Is it possible to get a similar insurance in India?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Forgot to mention the brand. It is a Lowepro CompuTrekker Plus AW bag. In the past I have bought many lowepro bags. I still have two more Lowepro bags, one of them being a Lowepro Compu Rover AW. Tons of money spent on bags.

The above picture was clicked, when I was travelling to Ranthambhore. I was carrying the 24-70 more for wide angles and the 24-105 for close encounters with the tiger. Also, because it has IS.

Also, I use a Kinesis Long lens case. It holds my 400mm f2.8 L IS USM with hood on, plus a 2x II TC attached with my Mark IV. It is too long to carry in the flight. It is good to use during the safari. In the past I used to struggle with dust. Will post the image and details later in a separate thread.

Not many people insure the photographic equipment. However, I think these days it makes sense. I haven't enquired about details, however, insurance against theft is possible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Fitting the stuff into the camera bag.

Just received my new Canon EF 70-200 f2.8 IS L II lens. First thing, after clicking few images was to try and fit it into my camera bag a Lowepro Vertex 300AW. Here is the image of the bag with the stuff in the main compartment. It is the largest legal size for carryon bag for flights, but weighs 15Kg with all the gear mentioned below but still without the laptop. The Canon EOS 1DIV with the EF 500mm f4 L IS is in the middle. On top L to R is the two TC stacked on each other, the EF 70-200 f2.8 L IS II, and the EF 100 f2.8 IS L macro. On the bottom row L to R are the Canon Speedlite 580EXII followed by the EF 5DII body. As you will note there is no space for the standard 28-70 f2.8L lens which I carry on the camera vest, a Khumbu photo vest manufactured by "Vested Interest" http://www.vestedinterest.com/khumbu.htm . This vest can take in all the gear including the 500 with a body on the back and is the vest I wear in the field.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information