ContactUs

User Tag List

Thread: Eucalyptus in shola forests

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Default Eucalyptus in shola forests

This is from my recent visit to the South western ghats. In the foreground you can see red coloured eucalyptus plantations done by the Kerala forest dept. In the background are the shola forests and grasslands.

Shola forests are synonymous with water. They trap a lot of water. The eucalyptus (in the foreground) on the other hand is known to deplete ground water.

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV, Canon EF 24-105 F4 L IS USM at 47mm, ISO 400, f10, 1/320, full frame image.

The trek was not an easy one. I had to swap my shoes for the sandals of one of the guys. This image was taken on the run.

Cheers,
    Sabyasachi
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with you on eucalyptus on open grass lands. Eucalyptus plantations in forests are manmade disasters. Grass lands provide food and water for herbivores. The grass cover under the eucalyptus plantations will be reduced to almost zero and wild animals will suffer. Why do we need to grow such trees in forests? Lands can be left alone and vegetation will regenerate itself.
    ^^^^^^^^^________________^^""=`~/^^\!

You can plant trees but cannot create forests

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice environment photograph. Its sad to know that the forest department is unaware of the fact that Eucalyptus plantations can cause a disaster. Thanks for sharing.
    Regards,
    Mrudul Godbole

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This particular issue can be very strongly taken up. The forest department in many National parks are aware of the habitat destruction that had happened due to monoculture platations.

It is very strange to note that they have planted Eucalyptus saplings ( thankfully Eucalyptus is said to be a non-invasive and grows only if planted).

The DFO of that particular forest division should immediately be written on this with a copy to the Cheif Conservator requesting them to uproot the saplings.

Thread Information