ContactUs

User Tag List

Thread: Slender-billed gull

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Default Slender-billed gull

Slender-billed gull: Larus genei - Adult in breeding plumage.

Pulicat lake

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV, Canon EF 400mm f2.8 L IS USM, EF 1.4xII, ISO 800, 1/2500, f9, full frame image, Minor processing in lightroom.

Sharing some information from Birds of South Asia, The Ripley Guide by Pamela C. Rasmussen and John C. Anderton

A medium sized, slender, very pale gull, small-headed with a peculiarly long bill and elongated face and neck; appearance varies from rather normal to bizarre. Breeding adult has entirely white head, white iris and red bill, and a pinkish tinge below. Non breeding adult has faint dark ear-smudge. Juvenile has mostly pale pinkish bill and legs, dark eye and dark markings on mantle and upperwing-coverts. First-winter retains dark bar on wing-coverts above, with a dark basal secondary bar joining dark inner primaries, and mostly white outer primaries and wrist; tail has black band on distal third. In flight, very pale, and tail may look relatively broad; adult has wing-tip pattern of common black-headed.

Occurs: Summer visitor (or resident) SW and E Afghanistan (Seistan, Lake Ab-i-Estada, Kabul); resident Pakistan coast (breeding sporadically along Mekran Coast) and Gujarat, straggling in winter along W and SE Indian coast; vagrant Sri Lanka (one record, off tip of Mannar). A few occur as passage migrants, vagrants or winter visitors inland, from Indian Punjab to SE Nepal. Locally common, breeding at large shallow saline lakes, as well as by coastal lagoons and marine inlets; winters primarily in estuaries, tidal creeks and, rarely, inland at reservoirs; also well out to sea.

Habits: Wing-beats slower than in Common, and may fly in formation; often wades and forages in surf. Breeds in dense colonies May-Jun at Siranda Lake, Baluchistan coast, building a substantial nest; colonies subject to desertion if disturbed.
    Cheers,
    Sabyasachi
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Sabyasachi Patra; 26-12-2010 at 01:25 PM. Reason: Aperture and other info

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wonderful shot sir,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Beautiful pose captured. The eye contact is nice. Sharp. Nice wing spread. Thanks for sharing.
    Regards,
    Mrudul Godbole

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice one Sabyasachi. I like the unconventional pose. The light and eye contact are nice. What was the aperture value you used?
    The fanned out tail and the wing spread along with the landing gear show nicely how they use physics. Or rather should I put it, how we learnt physics and aerodynamics from them...

I was seeing a documentary the other day on Discovery on the Airbus A380. They had an issue with the wingspan as they would have a longer one due to the size of the airplane. However they had to cut size and they adapted a design after studying a Steppe Eagle's aerodynamics.
    Regards,
    Bibhav Behera
    www.bibhavbehera.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sabyasachi patra View Post
    larus genei

pulicat lake

canon eos 1d mark iv, canon ef 400mm f2.8 l is usm, ef 1.4xii, iso 800, 1/2500, full frame image, minor processing in lightroom.

Cheers,
    sabyasachi
    beautiful shot. Good lighting, good sharpness and clarity

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Forgot to mention the aperture. This was photographed at f9. Updating the original post along with information of the bird.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pradeep Bhilotra View Post
    beautiful shot. Good lighting, good sharpness and clarity
    nice capture of the glare

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good work Sabyasachi. Loved this.