ContactUs

User Tag List

Thread: Great Pied Hornbill - Male

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Default Great Pied Hornbill - Male

Great Pied Hornbill - Buceros bicornis, Male.

Description from Birds of South Asia, The Ripley Guide by Pamela C. Rasmussen and John C. Anderton

An immense pied hornbill with a very large yellow bill and double-ridged casque; black face, throat, mantle and lower breast contrast with buffy nape and neck, white belly and vent. Male has red iris, slaty orbital skin, and black at rear and front of casque; female has pink orbital skin, white iris, and red on rear of otherwise plain casque. Juvenile is duller, with low casque, less distinct dark bill markings, and pale fleshy orbital skin. In flight, note the black wings with a broad white band through coverts and band on trailing edge, and white tail with broad black central band. Preen oil stains white plumage buffy-yellow to varying degree.

Occurs: Resident in Himalayaas of Uttaranchal to Arunachal, lower parts of S Assam hills (including Meghalaya and south to Lushai Hills), NE and SE Bangladesh (rare); disjunctly in W Ghats south of bombay; plains upto 1500m in W Ghats, 2200 m in Himalayas. Local in evergreen and moist deciduous forest.

Habits: Usually in pairs in canopy, rarely descending to ground. Often flies high and far, with 3-4 deep flaps followed by long glide.

Both sexes seal female in nest; female emerges during chick rearing, and chick then re-seals cavity. Feeds on fruits, nestlings and reptiles.

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV, Canon EF 400mm F2.8 L IS USM, EF 2xII, f5.6, 1/250, ISO 5000, full frame image.

I was filming this fellow from the other side of the bank when it flew and perched close. The light was too low and I halted the filming to click a few shots to share with you folks here.

Cheers,
    Sabyasachi
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice one sir beautiful catch
    it's always a pleasure to watch this bird

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lovely portrait Sabyasachi, at ISO 5000 the image is sharp and has excellent details, no noise whatsoever. The colors too have come out well. Can you share the video if possible?

Can you please provide details of Valparai and nearby interesting places, where to stay, naturalist/guide etc... I will plan to take my team sometime before summer.

tfs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Stunning Sabya!A remarkable picture indeed.

The description of the bird is also wonderful.Stunningly sharp.

How can we see your videos?(Iam as inquisite as Praveen!)

Regards

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great Portrait.Very sharp & clean even at such a high ISO.TFS

Regards
    Kalpa

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Praveen and Sankar,
    I have few minutes of video. Infact, these days I am hardly clicking stills. However, the videos need to be edited into a tightly knit film. Will let you know when the editing is done.

Cheers,
    Sabyasachi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Awesome close-up this is! Lovely colors and eye. ISO 5000 has come like ISO 400 Would love to see the video too...
    Regards,
    Tushar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lovely image. Nice details. One does get awed by the ISO capabilities of cameras these days... Recorded it calling?
    Regards,
    Bibhav Behera
    www.bibhavbehera.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Beautiful close-up. I liked the composition. The eye contact makes the image more magical. The high ISO capability of Mark IV can be definitely judged here. I think at this point it was beyond 50D to click any images . Very well captured.
    Regards,
    Mrudul Godbole

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Excellent closeup.Very neatly done. The colours on the bird are superb.
    Although we see the bird it is in closeups like this that we get to see the subtle range of colours and contours that the naked eye will miss and mostly it leaves you super awed.
    +1 waiting for the video.TFS
    Roopak

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A dreambird.

How exhilerating it is to note that there are still great pied hornbills in our country - which means there are still pristine moist forests in the India today which is plagued due to vandalization in the name of development.

Lovely capture.

Thread Information