Default White Breasted Kingfisher

Taken at full zoom with a Kodak Z 740 10x Digital on Auto
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Hi,
    Is this a full frame image or have you cropped it?

The quality of an image deteriorates when you use the digital zoom. Digital zoom just selects a portion of your image and magnifies it. So you lose quality. It is better to use the optical zoom.

When you use the optical zoom, you will find that the subject appears much smaller. In that case, you have to try to approach closer to your subject. Kingfisher, bee eaters etc have a favourite perch. They will return to that place again and again. It is better to set up a hide and wait there.

Also remember that the Jpeg shots lose quality if you save again and again.

You have clipped the tail feathers of the kingfisher where as there is enough space at the top. There is also more space at the left. Keep trying and analysing your shots. You will soon get good shots.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile White Breasted Kingfisher

Thank you for your comments. This was done in the initial stages when I had gone digital. I have learnt a lot now and hope to post better pictures. However you will appreciate that there are serious limitations to what one can do with a simple digit camera.
    Within the cost I went in for better zoom than for resolution.
    Thank you once again
    A S Chandrashekaran

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes we know that the clarity and the zoom with simple digital camera is quite limited.
    We hope to see better photos from you.

Keep posting,
    Regards,
    Mrudul Godbole

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by A.S.Chandrashekaran View Post
    Thank you for your comments. However you will appreciate that there are serious limitations to what one can do with a simple digit camera.
    A S Chandrashekaran
    Wildlife photography is equipment intensive. However, I don't agree equipment is the only factor in creating a good picture.

No camera would give you compositional skills. Vision is very important. First think what you want to communicate through your picture. Accordingly, you can add or subtract various elements from the image. Before you click a picture follow a simple discipline. Ask your self what is there in the scene that attracts me. I remember fifteen years back, when I was working in Telco (that was before my MBA days), I clicked a scenery from top of Dalma Hills near Jamshedpur. The resulting image was pathetic. There was clearly a disconnect between the scene that I saw and the photo that I clicked. Then I realised that you have to isolate the important elements and focus on those.

Please check on the tips section for approaching wildlife. Bird photography requires a long lens. However, if you set up a hide and sit there quietly, birds and animals will approach much closer to you. Try to understand the behaviour of birds and animals. You will learn more by observing.

My suggestion is to challenge yourself, try to be creative and create images with your existing point and shoot camera. You will learn much more than what you could have if you had a long lens and SLR.

Thread Information