Thread: Ramesh asks Modi govt to part with some Gir Lions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Ramesh asks Modi govt to part with some Gir Lions

Ramesh asks Modi govt to part with some Gir Lions
    PTI, Jan 27, 2011, 06.34pm IST

AHMEDABAD: Union environment minister Jairam Ramesh pressed Gujarat to part with some of its lions, saying they should be translocated and have a second home in Madhya Pradesh.

The minister, who visited Sasan Gir Sanctuary in Junagadh district, the only abode of Asiatic lions, said he is hopeful that the Narendra Modi government will agree to the proposal of having a second home for Gujarat lions in MP.

The Gujarat government has already rejected the proposal made several times before on the ground the Gir lions were the "pride" of the state.

The issue of sharing Gir lions with MP is a bone of contention between the governments of Gujarat, MP and the Centre.

"You know more than 1,000 lions died due to diseases in Tanzania. Here in Gir, the lions have an inbreed population and genetic diversity of the lions here is also limited," Ramesh told reporters after a visit to the sanctuary.

"Many scientists are of the view that the lions should have a second home. I have written to the Gujarat government to transfer some lions to MP."

"But the government here thinks lions are their pride possession," Ramesh said, adding he hopes that someday the proposal to translocate the lions will be accepted by the state government.

The Gujarat government has time and again made it clear it will not share the big cats with MP. As per the last Census, the sanctuary is home to around 400 lions.

Ramesh has even offered Modi tigers in exchange for lions. But Modi's response was, "We want Gujarat to have tigers, but we will not give our lions."

Ramesh also went on a safari and was lucky to sight eight lions. He inspected various facilities in the sanctuary for the wildlife.

Link - Ramesh asks Modi govt to part with some Gir Lions - The Times of India
    Regards,
    Mrudul Godbole

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It will be intersting to see how this plays out...

Both the leaders have a point - the MoEF minister makes a better case than the Chief Minister. However, in the Indian context, conservation works best when done with passion, zeal and tons of pride rather than pontification by wise men in air conditioned halls. The best example of this is the Project Tiger during Indira Gandhi's tenure. Although the project had some of the best of conservationists associated, it is widely regarded that its success hinged on Indira Gandhi's active support. Hence, I am glad that the Gujurat government looks upon the Asiatic lion population as a matter of pride. I sincerely hope, more investment and better conservation techniques are implemeted.

On the otherside, the Jairam Ramesh is talking sense. Risk mitigation is crucial for any conservation project. Genetic homogeniety is a real issue. But creating another sanctuary in MP has to be carefully planned out. Translocating large mammals - especially this high up the food chain is complicated.

It will be much appreciated if a thorough analysis of the target habitat be made before introducing the lions. We need to make the effort to first build a stable ecosystem (right prey density etc), and only then translocate the lions.

Thread Information