ContactUs

User Tag List

Thread: kudos Karnataka !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default kudos Karnataka !

We had started from JLR-bandipur and were heading towards kabini when at 11:40am precisely, we were blocked from proceeding further by a jeep belonging to Project Tiger, bandipur!
    On enquiring with the forest personnel, we got to know that a herd of elephants were migrating from Satyamangalam to kabini/bandipur and the pachyderms would cross the road anytime.
    I quickly grabbed my camera and set it up ready to shoot...we were hearing a lot of crackers being burnt and gunshots were fired into the air!
    In what the estimated 5 minutes became a long 25min, the elephants finally crossed the road and entered the man-made forest on the other side
    During the short conversation I had had with the range officer, I realised that elephants used to cause quite some damage to the crops in the area
    until a couple of years ago, when the forest dept. of Karnataka created patches of man-made forests, and fenced the other parts of the route through the villages.
    So, the elephants didn't really have a choice but to enter the urban/human-created forest and proceed towards their destination
    Incidentally, it was the first time I had seen a herd of 11 elephants in which all were tuskers!
    Seven elephants can be seen in the frame..too bad though that the tusker on the far left isn't bright enoguh

Canon 60D
    sigma 150-500mm
    handheld, on foot

f/7
    EV 0
    1/320sec
    ISO 400
    focal length 250mm
    FULL FRAME
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice to see so many tuskers. It is good you got a few in the open. It sure is a big problem for these elephants to do their migration. The composition is nice. Thanks for sharing the information.
    Regards,
    Mrudul Godbole

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

There are more number of elephants who are outside our present day Protected Areas. You may refer to an excellent article which was posted earlier by Vikram Nanjappa.
    Protected ? - Indiawilds: Land of the Tiger. Conservation, Wildlife Photography, Communities

Though elephant has been acknowledged as the National Heritage animal, there has been hardly any funds available for securing the migration path and the areas used by elephants that fall outside our present day Protected Areas.

Watching these majestic and intelligent animals moving around and going about their day to day chores is always a delight. Often I am amazed at the manner in which these elephants wait silently on the road side for a lull in the traffic to cross over. If we can have even one percent of their patience and understanding than the road rage cases will vanish.

Cheers,
    Sabyasachi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sabyasachi

Thank you for sharing the link. The article is great and has some important information on conservation

We can sure do away with road calamities if we have the patience that elephants have! I had observed an elephant mother and calf wait by the side of the Ooty highway for over 30 minutes before finally crossing the road...their patience is simply puzzling!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Nice image. this seems to be a bachelor herd.dont get to see this often. well done.

TFS
    Roopak

Thread Information