ContactUs

User Tag List

Thread: Olive Ridley Conservation: Best Practices

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Olive Ridley Conservation: Best Practices

Since last six years , an organisation called Sahyadri Mitra is making efforts to conserve turtles on the coast of maharashtra and they have been quite successful in doing it.
    From this year they are going to celebrate the success of the project by celebrating Turtle festival !
    The festival will be on the 22nd March and Monday, the 23rd March 2009 at Velas, Taluka Mandangad, District Ratnagiri of maharashtra.It is organised by sahyadri Mitr in coordination with the Gram Panchayat, Velas and the Forest Department.

i find this to be a unique way to get more and more ppl involved in the movement and it also has an additional objective of promoting Eco tourism and thus creating livelihood options for the locals through this activity!!
    I would like to share the link to the website telling more about the festival
    Here is the link to the website-

http://www.snmcpn.org/default.html
    http://www.kedarbhat.com/naturewildl...tle/turtle.htm

ketaki
    Last edited by Sabyasachi Patra; 19-03-2009 at 11:16 AM. Reason: created new thread to focus on possible solutions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Thanks... It gives more energy to go ahead :)

Thanks ketaki for sharing this. Indeed the fight for conservation never ends and such type of success are really encouraging for all turtle lovers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

It is good to generate more attention. However, one has to be careful in managing these festivals as well meaning but ill informed people can do more harm than good.

Eco tourism is good in generating revenues, however given the way ecotourism is run in our country, most of the times it does more harm than good. It can be a boon or bane, depending upon how you run it. Most of the times the first sign of ecotourism is concretisation of the place and spoiling its pristine beauty, apart from hindering in the movement of wildlife.

Thanks for sharing the link. It is important to study what works and what doesn't before implementing it in other places.

Cheers,
    Sabyasachi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sir , it is very true that one has to be very carefull while implementing such festivals and other eco tourism projects. because thats what many examples of eco tourism projects show us.

I can share with u all more about how exactly this festival is going and what is happening there after a few days as some of my parents and some of my friends out there will be participating in it.

Regards,

ketaki

Thread Information