Do wildlife photographers suffer from tunnel vision ? This is not a question that is asked very often , in fact I do not think anybody has asked this. However as a professional guide I have come to the sad conclusion that this might hold true. Below is a quote from 'Wild Animals in Central India' by A.A.Dunbar Brander , I have used the word " photographing " instead of the original " killing". Food for thought ? I gave up the camera for a year and a half on the advise of my then boss KP and learned what can be broadly called Natural History.

"For about six years I practically ceased to shoot, and it is to this period that I am chiefly indebted; one can see so much more of an animal , and under such different circumstances if one is not intent on photographing it."

I would like you to take a minute or so to reflect and then to respond. A lot of thought has gone into whether I should put this up for discussion or not but I finally decided to go ahead as I feel that there has been a substantial increase in wildlife photographers in the recent years and it is important that the right spirit and attitude be inculcated among the newcomers.

I am a member of a lot of wildlife / nature photography forums but I decided to post here as I find members of Indiawilds are more open to criticism . No malice intended I just want a healthy debate.