ContactUs

User Tag List

Thread: The 500D is finally here

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default The 500D is finally here

Canon finally launched the versatile 500D, a sub 1000$ model with Video Recording capabilities . . . . . read the full review in the link here:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0903/09...noneos500d.asp

Rajan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wow.. just saw it. lovely...
    Regards,
    Bibhav Behera
    www.bibhavbehera.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow...!!! I was on the verge of buying the EOS 50D, and was getting seriously stretched for finances.......is this a viable alternative..???? I dont seriously see the need for the video recording (Personal opinion of course...!!!) Sabyasachi da, Could you throw some light..???? It shall save me some money for some lenses.
    Cheers
    Dipankar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Dipankar,
    The 500D is definitely suitable alternative. It is always better to spend more on lenses than on the body. The 500D sensor has the same amount of megapixels as the 50D.

When the sensor is stuffed with somuch megapixels (15.1 MP) it demands good lenses. So it is better to invest more on good lenses. If two people are photographing the same scene with similar compositions, sharpness, etc, then the decisive factor is the lens. For eg. one person clicking with a 50D and lousy lens and one with a 500D with a good lens, the guy with the 500D+good lens is likely to get better results (provided the IQ of the two photographers are alike).

In 50D the features are more . The frame rate in 50D is 6.3 frames per second where as it is 3.4 fps in 500D. I don't think it is a big issue. It is better to anticipate animal behaviour and click at the right moment, than try to shoot in burst and hope to be lucky with one of those shots.

The AF system of 50D is better as the 500D has one cross type sensor at the centre. Please remember that the 50D AF is very good. So the 500D should be ok as well. You can use the Centre AF point to initially acquire focus.

In my view it is better to buy the 500D and spend the rest on lenses.

Cheers,
    Sabyasachi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dear Sabhyasachi Da,
    I have been pondering and pondering over the 500d / 50d issue and after a hands over review of the 500d at the canon lounge Gurgaon, i have bit the bullet and gone for the 50D. The 50D simply seems better to hold and much more rugged than the much smaller and lighter 500D. Though the difference in price is about 10,000/- (I am getting the 50D at 57,000/-) but i guess i shall swallow that bitter pill.
    As far as glass is concerned, your high recommendation for the 300 f4 IS was hard to question and that also makes a part of the shopping list (at about 65000/- in the grey market, its about Rs 10,000 more if bought with warranty, whats your advice????? )
    For a general purpose walk around lens, i have more or less narrowed down to the 17-40, f/4 L USM (Rs 30000/- in the Grey), i have read some great reviews about it but i would like to have your advice on it as well.

Phew.....that makes me down by about 1,50,000/- ( I will peg the cost at Rs 50,000/- to my wife and my CA , small lie for domestic harmony.. )

And of course the credit for all this goes to you and the other enthused members here, your pictures and experiences make me want to be one of you.....Thanx Guys.

Now its upto me, if i can covert this great gear into quality pics.....Since i am graduating from a P&S background, i will require to do some learning as well........but the onus is completely on me. I hope i dont end up flaunting the gear, with no commensurate pictures to show...lets see.

We are planning for another weekend at Ranthambhore next week and i hope to test the gear there (provided availability issues of the lenses are sorted out) and comeback wiser.

Cheers
    Dipankar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Dear Dipankar,
    Congratulations!

The 17-40 is a great lens. You will find some good landscapes in Ranthambhore. Even in Delhi you can use it in number of places.

You are right that the 50D will feel much better in the hand than the 500D. It is a great camera. The 300mm f4 L IS is a great piece of equipment as well. Just add a 1.4x Converter if possible. I hope your wife doesn't come to know that I am giving you all these advices.

Now my advice would be to understand the limitations of your equipment and push it to the hilt. And push yourself in extracting juice from your equipment. There would be learning curve but in digital you learn fast. There are lot of good guys posting here. Pick their brains and you will benefit a lot.

Cheers,
    Sabyasachi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with Sabyasachi. The 'meat' is in the lenses, not in the bodies. The 300 f4 is a superb lens. With extension tubes it even makes a great macro lens.

Apana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I asked in a few shops in Bangalore. They said the 500D would be available from next week. Price 55k with 18-55 IS lens...
    Regards,
    Bibhav Behera
    www.bibhavbehera.com

Thread Information