ContactUs

User Tag List

Thread: Wildlife ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Wildlife ?

Just returned from Ranthambore and learnt that Machli the famous tigress now about 13 - 16 years ( estimates vary ) is being fed ( baits ) to keep her alive.Another old male died when I was there , he too was being fed live bait . Is this what our Parks are turning into - glorified zoos ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Unfortunately the answer is Yes.

There is lot of interest from tourists to sight Machli. To make matters worse, a lifetime achievement award was given by TOFT (tour operators for tigers) to Machli. That has resulted in tourists wanting to sight machli. Last year, when I was there in ranthambhore, I found a guard very worried. He sent a message through us that he hasn't sighted Machli for the last three days. There was instruction to report about the well being of this tigress.

It is not surprising that the forest department is trying to keep her alive by feeding her.

The forest department should not lose sight of their main job ie. protection of the wildlife and maintenance of the habitat according to ecologically sound management plans.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very unfortunate.
    The fate of individual animals is not important. As long as we don't interfere in their lives and cause trouble to them and if the individuals still perish, it is absolutely fine. It is the populations, persistence of populations in their own eco-system that bothers. We have reportedly lost about 20% of the tiger habitat in the country during the last 5 years which public is seemingly unaware.
    For Ranthambore forests, Machili tigress seems to be a goose that lays a golden egg. Neither the department nor the tour operators will easily allow the tigress to die in peace naturally.

Thread Information