ContactUs

User Tag List

Thread: Tail view

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Default Tail view

Bandhavgarh Tiger Reserve, India. Panthera tigris tigris.

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV, Canon EF 400mm f2.8 L IS USM, EF 2xII, ISO 400, f7.1, 1/200

Cheers,
    Sabyasachi
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow! This is amazingly close. The people on the elephant back must have had heart in the mouth. The swinging tail of the elephant indicates that he too is alert. Lovely moment captured Sabyasachi!
    tfs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sir, Take me in to your "SHARRAN". I also wish and hope to capture such pictures. I have decided not to spend much on equipments but also decided to learn capturing great shots like you with existing 7D and 24-105 and 100-400 Is and 50mm 1.8(that’s what I have).
    Regards
    Ashok Sorout

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agree with Praveen..this looks quite close to the elephant. Even with a 2x TC, the lens seems to perform quite well and the details on the tiger look fine (though I am sure there is loss of sharpness..this pic doesn't appear as sharp as your other images)..

tfs
    Bhargava

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Bhargava,

I have never experienced image degradation when the 2x converter is attached to the 400mm f2.8 L IS lens. If the image is soft, then it can only be due to user error rather than the fault of the equipment. One can do testing of static subjects, but in field, it is not noticeable.

Having said that, I have to check the original image as I had processed it when I was in bandhavgarh. My images are processed with default sharpening. However, recently I saw that after the lightroom upgrade the default has changed to a soft setting.

When the tiger got up, I just aimed and fired and got about 2 frames. Didn't get time to bump up the ISO. The shutter speed was 1/200. I would have been comfortable at around 1/500 levels.

This scene interested me, as the tail, elephants leg and the tree nicely framed the subject.

Ashok,
    Keep on learning here. I will organise a class for you later to bring you up to speed.

Cheers,
    Sabyasachi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes. This scene is interesting. Could you say the same thing about the 300 f2.8 L IS interms of taking TC's?
    Bhargava

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

The 400mm f2.8 L IS USM and 300mm f2.8 L IS USM are two sharp lenses. The 2xII TC works well with the 300mm f2.8 L IS USM lens as well. There are some good photographers like Mary McDonald who have used that combo in the past. I would say the 400 mm does better than the 300mm but can't give you any "proof" in terms of tests.

Having said that, I have seen some really shoddy work by a few photographers in India using 2xII TC with the 300mm. Whether it is a matter of calibration or user error is anyone's guess.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Excellent timing and composition.There is something in the image which makes the viewer visually complete the movement of both animals, almost like live view....the tail swings back, elephant moves and the Tiger completes the step. well for me atleast...
    I dont know if a lot of time spent at the desk with no time for green breaks is making me imagine things, but throughly enjoyed this image and iam sure going out on the weekend....

TFS
    Roopak

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)

Wonderful.Two things are amazingly captured .The regal movement of the trained riding elephant, the gentle Colossus oblivious of the Tiger and the most powerful predator,the Tiger sneaking to retrieve from the messy situation.It reminds me how "The Maneating Leopard of Rudraprayag" used to sneak into the houses in the night to make the kills. SaktiWild

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sabyasachi, my hats off to you on a superb shot! just wanted to understand at what level you were with respect to the tiger as in were you on a gypsy or an elephant at a lower ground

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Very nice image. A perfect portrayal of the overall feel of the moment. I agree with Roopak, one can actually imagine what was going on at that moment in real life.

Thread Information