ContactUs

User Tag List

Thread: Nest weaving Baya Weaver

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Nest weaving Baya Weaver

This is taken on Cauvery river bank near Mysore.

Camera : Nikon D60
    F.stop : f/5.6
    Exp. time : 1/100sec
    ISO : 400
    F.length : 300mm
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

The light looks tricky. I think the highlights on the nest are burnt. Nice behaviour recorded. Was it possible to go closer?
    TFS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agree with comments made by Abhishek. I've never known for sure if posting images of nesting birds is allowed on Indiawilds or not

tfs
    Bhargava

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)

How much pains a Male Baya Weaver(deep concentration) takes to attract the Female by commencing weaving Nest.I believe the Female will definitely like the nest.Because it is almost complete,I feel the Female has selected the Male and joined him to complete the Nest.Did you find the Mate?Nice action documented. Nice for sharing.SaktiWild
    Last edited by Saktipada Panigrahi; 31-07-2011 at 10:53 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bhargava Srivari View Post
    Agree with comments made by Abhishek. I've never known for sure if posting images of nesting birds is allowed on Indiawilds or not

tfs
    1. Knowingly I haven't banned posting images of nesting birds in IndiaWilds. We had a discussion about it last year. I feel one can use long lenses to document and the birds wont get disturbed. And a lot of people crop heavily.

2. Having said that, one needs lot of discretion while shooting nesting birds. In UK, there is a rule regarding photographing or filming nesting birds. You need to take a license. In India, we don't have any rules. And if at all there were any, then those would have been violated.

3. The question that one needs to ask himself while shooting birds in nest is what is the purpose of this image? Is it educational? Is it for pleasure? What is the point in thrusting your lens on small defenseless chicks? A few people do. I would strongly disapprove it. However, if someone is studying behaviour while taking sufficient precautions, then that would be fine.

In case of baya weaver, from childhood days I have been intrigued by the remarkable craftmanship of these weaver birds. It had left a great impression on my minds. I am sure similar would be the case with other people. And normally, these nests are high up in the tree and even if you are likely to stand below the tree they may not be disturbed. So when someone posts baya weaver nest, I am fine with it.

However, I would strongly disapprove of any attempts at clicking images of defenseless chicks in open nest.

4. There are some photosharing sites who have a rule of not allowing nesting images. I am fine with it. I wish they take up conservation issues as well.

5. I believe and hope that members of IndiaWilds are mature enough to understand when they are impacting the well being of birds and animals. No image is important than the wellbeing of the bird or animal.

6. I am sharing a link to an article that I had posted in my diary. It talks more about ethics and the way my views have been shaped. Ethics in Nature Photography | Diary - Tales from India's Wilds

7. I was sent a link to a news item in a marathi paper about some miscreant masquerading as wildlife photographer and cutting of branches of trees and pulling down chicks etc. So there are enough misguided elements. So as photographers, if you find that someone is inviting you to a place where a bird and its nest is disadvantaged/exposed by cutting off branches or unfair practices are employed, then please refrain from being a part of that group.

Sabyasachi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This was photographed nearly from 40 ft distance from a hide without disturbing the bird. Thanks for comments.

Thread Information