User Tag List

Thread: Purple Swamphen - Kole Wetlands of Kerala

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Purple Swamphen - Kole Wetlands of Kerala

This one is from my home ground.

Kole Wetlands of Thrissur, Kerala is declared as Ramsar site and it comes in central Asian - Indian flyway of migratory birds.

Around 170 species of birds are found here. I spend my mornings here while at home. Many birds visit this area in large flocks. Last year I spotted a flock of 1,200 Small Partincoles, 1,000 Glossy Ibis, around 400 Golden Plovers (species list goes on…).

Camera settings: f/5.6, 1/1600, ISO-400. Had to spend almost an hour in the mud to get this one into the paddy fields from the bund wall with disturbing backgrounds. I think at the end it's worth waiting.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Nice shot. Striking colours. I like the low angle. The thin plane with the grass in focus looks nice. With that 1/1600 shutter speed, I feel you could have used a narrower aperture to get the tail in proper focus too.
    TFS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default You are right

You are absolutely right Abhishek, I should have used f/11 or at least f/8. I feel tempted to go for higher shutter speeds whenever I feel tired at field. That could be reason for this mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Abhishek Jamalabad View Post
    Nice shot. Striking colours. I like the low angle. The thin plane with the grass in focus looks nice. With that 1/1600 shutter speed, I feel you could have used a narrower aperture to get the tail in proper focus too.
    TFS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Dileep,

Lovely image. It is not always easy to get the desired image. One needs patience, and slow and measure movements carrying the heavy lenses.

I agree that a higher depth of field would have been even better. Were you handholding?

Cheers,
    Sabyasachi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation

This is nice. I too would like a little more DoF here, though I don't mind what I am seeing. It is really tough to handhold the nikon 500 f4 (if that is what you use)...were you using a pod?

Tfs
    Bhargava

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks a lot Sabyasachi and Srivari for your feedback. This was handheld and with the current vr lenses it is rather easy.
    I very seldom use the tripod at wild as by the time you get the camera ready the opportunity will be mostly lost.
    After the recent Himalayan trip I'm planning to go for a monopod. Because I found very difficult to control breath at high altitude. Appreciate your suggestion if any in this regard.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dileep

The VR sure makes life easier All the same, 3.9kg + camera body is quite a lot of weight!

As for the monopod, I use a manfrotto 681B, but the 682B is supposed to be slightly better because of its self-standing feature. However, both these pods have the same weight specifications and will take your equipment comfortably. I use a 496 RC2 ball head with quick release (whihch can rotate 360 deg) on my 681B, but usually, a monopod does not need a ball head as it can be moved sideways anyway.

Regards

Bhargava
    Bhargava

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Bhargava,
    The self-standing feature is a joke, especially in nature photography. If you need three legs, then go for a tripod where you can adjust the legs according to the undulating terrain. With proper technique, one doesn't need to depend on such self-standing features.

The manfrotto 681B monopod is fine. If you want light weight, then you can try the Gitzo monopod. The monopod also helps as a walking stick while trekking, especially climbing a hill.

Cheers,
    Sabyasachi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Once again thanks a lot for your guidance.

As Sabyasachi suggested, Gitzo monopods are much... much lighter than Manfrotto ones and ideal for trekking, and my obvious choice.

Btw, any idea about the ease of use of Manfrotto 685B NeoTec Monopod. Review says it allows us to use with one hand and I think that will be a boon for the forests of Kerala.

Kind regards,
    Dileep

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it's really worth waiting.....lovely shot at the end....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow! Lovely colors

Thread Information