ContactUs

User Tag List

Thread: CSE - Nictitating membrane seen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default CSE - Nictitating membrane seen

This a CSE we saw in Kabini on 14th August. Very friendly bird, but BG was cluttered. Not sure whether to clone the disturbing branches or not. Left it as is for members to comment.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice to see your image on indiawilds

I like the composition. All the same, you could have tried a vertical also. Please do share the exif data so that we will find it easier to understand the consitions in which the image was shot

tfs
    Bhargava

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

By the way, I'd prefer to keep the image components as is without cloning them
    Bhargava

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Hi Deepak,
    Welcome to IndiaWilds!

Please post the equipment details like Camera, lens, shutter speed, aperture, ISO and the amount of crop, so that we can offer better critiques. How did you process your image?

It is not always easy to get well diffused backgrounds. When the bird is cooperative, it is better to change your position to get a better background. In this case there appears to be a branch near the head (on our right). Moving to the left would have helped in getting some separation between the bird and the branch.

Also, there is a thick branch at the bottom and moving to the top left. Moving to the left would have helped in minimising/avoiding that from the frame.

At the left there is a thin "wavy" branch. That creates a frame at our attention goes to the top left corner framed by this wavy branch. And there is nothing there which can hold our attention. So another reason for moving to your left.

I don't agree with cloning. It has nothing to do with photographic skills. Cloning doesn't make a person a better photographer. Any photoshop technician can do it. How does that make you different from those guys.

Cloning has got no role in nature photography. Reputed publications and competitions don't allow it. Ofcourse a few photographers teach it, as their livelihood depends on it.

People clone to present a "clean" background, so as to attract good shot and great shot kind of comments in photosharing sites. I would suggest to avoid cloning, as that will stagnate you as a photographer.

At times well diffused backgrounds are not possible. It is also not a must to get well diffused backgrounds. One needs to understand the relationship between the habitat and the subject and try to get all of that in focus. So a narrow aperture would be preferred if you plan to create environmental images.

Cheers,
    Sabyasachi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agree with the above comments. Its good that you got the bird in clear. The light and the details are nice. Do post the EXIF details and the equipment you use to help in commenting better. Look forward to more from you. Thanks for sharing.
    Regards,
    Mrudul Godbole

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Equipment used: Canon EOS 400D, Canon 300mm f4 IS lens.
    Exif: 1/200s, f4, ISO 400.
    PP done: 5-10 % crop, Brightness/contrast/levels adjusted and image sharpening, all very minimal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)

Excellent piece of writing and advice given by Shri Sabyasachi to young Wild Life Photographers.Cloning is like playing One Day cricket and one will not develop the Skill of a Test Cricketer.More Important is ONE WILL ULTIMATELY LOSE PATIENCE TO TAKE A LIVELY NATURAL SHOT AND DENY TO APPRECIATE ONE'S OWN GOOD WORK AND THAT OF OTHERS. Will there be any satisfaction within?Will there be any Joy left? SaktiWild

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Cse

Deepak, nice post. Frankly Mr. Patra has given some excellent advice- both about cloning and about backgrounds.

I like this post. the image is natural... like what you saw.

Keep posting.

Arijir

Thread Information