ContactUs

User Tag List

Thread: Blackbuck Habitat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Blackbuck Habitat

Photographed at Maidanahalli. It was quite far away, so tried a environment composition. Let me know what you think.

Canon 50D, 100-400mm L IS USM, 1/1000, f8.0, ISO 400, hand held

Comments and critiques welcome..
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Regards,
    Mrudul Godbole

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)

Nice Image.To me its an Wonderful Photograph in its Natural Habitat.

Because the Mind of our Generation was trained by what Famous E.P.Gee,M.Krishnan,Salim Ali,Jim Corbett(who also used to photograph in later years) taught us how to Frame a Photograph. Handmade Improvised Film camera to capture a bigger frame were developed by some of them.

" Habitat,Natural Colour,Action,every Feather,every Feather,A Photograph should tell a Story" had been their Key Words all the time.

Shri Sabyasachi was happy to read an excerpt from Shri M.Krishnan.
    Like him I used to wait eagerly for 2 weeks to read his Article in The Statesman on Sunday every Fortnight.

SaktiWild
    Last edited by Saktipada Panigrahi; 08-10-2011 at 09:26 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

This image shows the blackbuck's habitat well. Unfortunately, their numbers are now limited and only found in a few pockets.

I am quoting Salim Ali from his book "The Fall of a Sparrow" about the blackbuck killing at that time :
    "From a little beyond Poona, and up to Sholapur and beyond, blackbuck were plentiful and hardly ever out of sight on both sides of the road, constantly crossing and recrossing in front of the car. One could stop almost anywhere and do a short cross-country walk of a shootable trophy. no shooting license was necessary and it was normal practice for weekend 'sportsment' to 'rail off' extra animals killed to any one of the bigger hotels in Bombay, for instance the Taj, without previous intimation, way-billed by the railways as 'Dead deer' and 'Freight to pay'. The hotels gladly took delivery and paid the sender Rs 5 per animal with thanks. During the open shooting season several such consignments, even from so-called bonafide sportsmen, reached the various hotels every day, and venison was freely advertised on the menu. In such black-cotton-soil country the antelopes were highly vulnerable in the monsoon, when the heavy clay hampered speedy escape and professional hunters took full advantage of their helplessness. Small wonder that this sort of commercialized slaughter, aided and abetted by four-wheel-drive jeeps, powerful spotlights, the free issue of firearms ('crop protection') and relaxed law-and-order conditions after World War II, especially since Independence, have completely wiped out blackbuck from this area."

Sabyasachi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Nice habitat pic.Like the compo.
    TFS
    Roopak

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well composed photo showing natural history. TFS.
    ^^^^^^^^^________________^^""=`~/^^\!

You can plant trees but cannot create forests

Thread Information