ContactUs

User Tag List

Thread: Barn Owl

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Default Barn Owl

On Shakti saab's request .....Even down south here this bird called " Velli Moonga" (Silver owl) is supposed to bring fortune and wealth and for the very reason is being trafficked extensively.I’ve heard rumours that a single bird can fetch upto Rs.5 lakhs in the Middle East.

A street lamp near by is the source of light .C&C welcome..

500D 55-250, f5.6, AE, ISO 3200 SS 1/8, -2 EC. No flash. Full frame. using "Car Hide". A street lamp near by is the source of light .C&C welcome..

Rgds
    Roopak
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)

Bhai Roopak,Nice Image under difficult conditions.I cannot express how grateful I am to you that you have taken so much pains for an unknown Wanderer in the Indian Forests.Goddess Maa Laxmi Bless you,your Family and All you Love.SaktiWild

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice one. I like this image very much. You've done well to shoot this at a lazy shutter speed. As an aside, I've always wondered if using a torch light to light up the scene a little more is considered ethical or not. Look forward to some responses.

tfs
    Bhargava

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Hi Roopak,
    Thanks for sharing this on an auspicious day. We do celebrate the Laxmi Puja in our extended joint family in the village with a big pandal etc. In my childhood days, I used to watch the karigar create his own paint from natural substances.

Flashing a owl is a strict NO NO. Flash causes momentary blindness. Think of you putting night vision glasses and someone pointing a torch at your eyes.

Suddenly switching on a light, even though it is a steady source like torch light, can also cause momentary difficulty. If you throw the light at your face for some time and the owl is looking at you, then its eyes may get prepared and then slowly lighting it may not cause as much harm. However, knowing how the wildlife photographers are, especially those who post in popular photosharing sites, it is a forgone conclusion that they will never think about the welfare of the subject. I guess better to leave the owls alone.

Look at the gaurs jostling with each other in the film preview at about 0.34 seconds. That was filmed at ISO 12800 at f2.8 at 400mm. I am sure in a couple of years time, the low light capability of the cameras will be even better. So no point in doing something now which you will regret later.

Sabyasachi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lovely sighting. You have captured it nicely in the given conditions. Quite difficult to sight this bird. Thanks a lot for sharing it with all of us.
    Regards,
    Mrudul Godbole

Thread Information