User Tag List

Thread: in search of musk

at Yingkiong, Upper Siang District, Arunachal Pradesh
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wink in search of musk

a female musk deer, shot in Tsitapuri in Arunachal Pradesh. reckless hunting has pushed them to brink of extinction................their fault, being blessed/cursed
    with a gland called, Kasturi.
    camera eos 7D, 238mm, f/8, 1/500 sec
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Hello Kaling,
    Welcome to IndiaWilds!

Good to see this species. Were you on a trek? Some description about the place would be helpful, as I have not been there.

Which lens did you use? Is this a large crop from the original captured image?

You can tell us about the processing. Which software did you use? Did you use any noise reduction?

Cheers,
    Sabyasachi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)

Rare incredible photograph. Chief target for every poacher in the Himalayas.Only male carries 'Musk Pod'.Thanks for sharing.SaktiWild

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

Hi Sabhyasachi,
    yes i had gone to a trek to Tsitapuri, a Bhuddist pilgrimage site, in Arunachal. a very arduous trek which takes 5 days on foot to reach the place. at 14000 ft low oxygen proved to be a deterrence on stamina. but was worth going considering scenic beauty of the place. i had a mind to shoot Takins but couldn't locate one.
    picture was cropped to fit to the site using Microsoft pic manager. not using a software as i have very little know how about. no noise reduction done. Tamron 18 - 270mm lens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saktipada Panigrahi View Post
    Rare incredible photograph. Chief target for every poacher in the Himalayas.Only male carries 'Musk Pod'.Thanks for sharing.SaktiWild
    Thank you, Saktipada.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Hi Kaling,

Good to know that you had gone to Tsitapuri. I am sure despite the hard trek viewing the musk deers and the natural beauty of the place would have made the trip worthwhile.

You can check this tutorial on image processing in lightroom. Indiawilds: Land of the Tiger. Conservation, Wildlife Photography, Communities

Do you have the software CDs that came with your camera? You will find Digital Photo Professional. You can load it in your computer and then edit your images. That software is easy to use and if you find any problems, you can ask us and we will guide you.

Did you click your image in RAW or jpeg. If jpeg, did you click in the highest quality or lower. If you have clicked your image in jpeg, then mail me your image at sabyasachi.patra@indiawilds.com and I will edit and send back to you as well as upload here for others to enjoy.

Also, I just checked that your image is slightly higher than 300kb. So that would have reduced the quality.

I am pretty excited to see this species. Amazing bio-diversity we have in this country.

Cheers,
    Sabyasachi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome to IndiaWilds..!!

A very rare sighting. Its nice to see this rare species. You can use Lightroom a post processing software by Adobe. You can also use Picasa which you can download free from net to do some basic post processing. Please check the following links to know more about post processing -

Indiawilds: Land of the Tiger. Conservation, Wildlife Photography, Communities

It will be good if you can post the full image without the cropping. Thanks for sharing.
    Regards,
    Mrudul Godbole

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome to Indiawilds! nice to know that you have travelled to a place not very popular. In fact, this is more important than visiting famous tiger reserves

tfs
    Bhargava

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Default Musk Deer - original capture

I received a 10mb image from Kaling. I just made slight changes in contrast and decided not to make any crop. You can compare this with his original post. This image shows the habitat well. I especially liked the rock on the left frame edge and at the top. Also, I liked the various layers in this image.

The subject is at the centre, however due to the framing with the rock on the left, I am fine with the composition. If I were there, I would have done one wider and one closeup.

Cheers,
    Sabyasachi
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default in search of Musk

thank you for the corrections and suggested tips. image now looks crispier. i look forward to yr help in times to come. warm regards. Kaling.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)

The Musk Deer in its natural habitat appears immensely beautiful to me. Composition is fine. We learnt from the famous naturalists of that era that a Wildlife Image should be composed with the habitat. I am so happy to see how wonderful the image could be without cropping.Thanks to Shri Sabyasachi for showing us the replica of photographs taken by E.P.Gee and M.Krishnan( on various wildlife ) and Kaling Bhai for original composition.SaktiWild
    Last edited by Saktipada Panigrahi; 28-10-2011 at 08:24 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The original image was such a large crop!!!

Sabyasachi,

The one you posted looks nice. May be, you could have done with cutting off some space at the left, just so that the subject wouldn't be right at the centre of the frame?

tfs
    Bhargava

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Beautiful environment photograph. I am fine with the present composition as the mountain frames the image nicely. It would have been nice if originally the deer was a bit more to the left. Thanks for sharing the original image.
    Regards,
    Mrudul Godbole

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Bhargava,
    I had mentioned the reason while posting. Your contention is that as per rule book, subject should not be at the centre of the frame as off centred composition looks more dynamic.

The subject here is physically at the centre of the image. However, one has to look at the composition and the elements in the image. If you see the image, it is nicely framed by rock on the left and top. And then there is an undulating line formed by rocks and frames the musk deer. So the image doesn't appear to be static to me. I find no reason to create an off-centre composition just for the sake of it.

Cheers,
    Sabyasachi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)

By retaining the vertical rock at the left frame edge, the quality of the composition of the photograph has been enhanced. It has also made a positive impact by creating an Optical Illusion.The open space in front of the Musk Deer looks much more than what it actually is.SaktiWild
    Last edited by Saktipada Panigrahi; 28-10-2011 at 10:06 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Musk deer

Its a beautiful photograph. The uncropped image by Sabyasachi has given dynamism to the frame with the vertical rock 'holding' the picture. What a place....we are thinking of visiting Namdhapa...are the higher regions there anything like this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaustuv Chatterjee View Post
    Its a beautiful photograph. The uncropped image by Sabyasachi has given dynamism to the frame with the vertical rock 'holding' the picture. What a place....we are thinking of visiting Namdhapa...are the higher regions there anything like this?
    Thank you, Kaustuv. i haven't been to Namdapha as yet but mountains to the height of musk deer habitat aren't in available there. the region is basically hilly & i think is part of Patkai range. wish you a wonderful time at Namdapha.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Kaling

Thread Information