ContactUs

User Tag List

Thread: Elephant hurt - Record image

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Elephant hurt - Record image

Photographed this in Bandipur last month. It was evening and the light was very low. It had some broken tooth and the lip was swollen. It was quite weak and there was water coming out constantly.

Canon 50D, 100-400mm L IS USM, ISO 400, f6.3, 1/20, hand held, full frame

Comments and critiques welcome..
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Regards,
    Mrudul Godbole

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Nice photograph under tough conditions.Good sharpness at 1/20.I imagine that the situation was not conducive for using the tripod.

But the elephant's condition is not so nice.I wonder what would have caused all this?

Regards

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)

Well documented.It appears to me that this is also the photograph of the same elephant posted by Shri Sabyasachi on 12.11.2011.In his photograph the injured lip was clearly visible and hanging on the left (here too also visible) but there was no mention of broken tooth.Knowing that the elehphant does consume dry bamboo,I wrote that the injury might have been caused by razor sharp edges of broken branches.
    But now with added dimension of broken tooth being observed,the previous observation needs revision.Because it is in south I am ruling out attack by rogue elephant.Was it then attacked by a tiger(though no injury mark on trunk!)or by an infurated tigress with cubs.May be so. Thanks for sharing.SaktiWild
    Last edited by Saktipada Panigrahi; 28-11-2011 at 11:29 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saktipada Panigrahi View Post
    Well documented.It appears to me that this is also the photograph of the same elephant posted by Shri Sabyasachi on 12.11.2011.In his photograph the injured lip was clearly visible and hanging on the left (here too also visible) but there was no mention of broken tooth.Knowing that the elehphant does consume dry bamboo,I wrote that the injury might have been caused by razor sharp edges of broken branches.
    Saktipadaji, this is the same elephant which Sabysachi had posted earlier. I am not very sure if it is because of the broken tooth or any other reason. I think that is what the driver told. You might be correct that it might have been caused because of dry bamboo.
    Regards,
    Mrudul Godbole

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kindly forward this image to Forest Vetinary officer at Bandipur or Mudumalai (Dr. Kalaivanan in Mudumalai and Mr. Dharmveer Shetty in Bandipur).
    Perhaps this injury could have been owing to crackers that are concealed inside the vegetables - not sure. May be the injury has happened naturally as well.

If the injury has happened due to human factor, there is nothing wrong in extending medical attention to the animal.

Dr. Kalaivanan - 09443461712
    Mr. Dharmaveer Shetty's number could be available at Bandipur.

Please specify the exact location to them.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The FVO, Mudumalai is already aware of this animal and he has confirmed that this cow has this disorder (natural) for a long while.
    While in wildlife conservation, we always bother about populations and not the fate of individual animals that die naturally, these days with increased human pressure on forests and wildlife, it is becoming imperative to see if any individuals are suffering from human induced factors. Not long ago, a tusker with swollen leg perished gruesomely in Nilgiris due to septicemic and the reason for swelling was a snare !
    We need to get to the notice of officials if any abnormality is observed and there should be a followup.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agree fully with Lakshminarayanan, every individual animal is precious and wherever possible such cases should be reported to authorities. It would indeed be nice if our photographs can contribute in saving lives of our wild denizens.

Thread Information