ContactUs

User Tag List

Thread: Visiting Kabini

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Visiting Kabini

I have never been to Kabini and thinking of a visit between Dec 26th and 31st.The Jungle Lodge seem to charging around Rs.4500 per person per day.Is this the best choice?Any other place to stay?

Your advise requested.

Regards

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have been to Jungles lodges a lot of times. I will say it is the best place you can stay in Kabini. Since you are going in holiday time, the tents might not be available which are bit less costly than the rooms. Do check the availability, as 26-31 can be a very busy time.
    Regards,
    Mrudul Godbole

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you haven't made a booking already, I'm almost certain JLR must be running full at that time of the year I can suggest a couple of other places which are quite good. There is 'The Serai' where a friend of mine stayed last week and gave good reports of the place. Also, 'The Bison' is a nice place with tents and cottages on the banks of the river, run by one Mr. Shaaz Jung who himself is a passionate photographer and an expert leopard tracker.

Cheers
    Bhargava

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Thanks Mrudul and Bhargava for your advise.It seems I may have to postpone my visit to Kabini.

Is it possible to visit Kabini without staying there?

Regards

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Honestly, I wouldn't call it a good idea. At kabini, the major attraction, at least for wildlife photographers, is the jungle safari. It is not possible to do safaris without staying there. One option you could look at is to visit the nagarhole side of the forest where the concrete road leading to the safari point itself is quite famous for wildlife viewing The forest dept. organises safaris in canters from nagarhole.

Cheers
    Bhargava

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Thanks for your continued help Bhargava,

Is Nagarhole and Kabini the same place or the entrances to both (From Kerala side)different?Forgive me for my ignorance!
    Is it possible for me to come to Nagarhole then get back to Masinagudi the same day.I have to remember the 6pm rules as well.

Regards

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sankar,

Both Nagarhole and kabini are part of the Rajiv Gandhi national park and are only two different sides of the forest. I am not well versed with the Nagarhole side of it as I've been there only once. What you can do is look up on Google for nagarhole safaris and I'm sure you'll find information.

As to whether you can do nagarhole and go to MAsinagudi the same day, I'd say it is possible but none the less, tiring. If you can put up yourself at Mysore for the night, you should start early in the morning by about 3:30 or so, so that you reach Nagarhole in time for the morning safari (the drive from Mysore will take about 2 and half hours). You could finish the morning drive in the park, then drive to Mudumalai via bandipur (for this, you willl be driving to HD kote from nagarhole and then to bandipur via begur. From bandipur, the ooty road will take you to Masinagudi, which I am sure you are aware of). The entire drive from nagarhole to masinagudi will take approx. 4 and 1/2 hours, if you drive without break. This, you should be able to do without any hindrance in the form of the road being closed at bandipur as the forest dept closes the ooty highway only at 9pm.

Cheers
    Bhargava

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Thanks for your continued discussion Bhargava,

I wont be coming to Mysore.Now I have got confirmed booking at Tholpetty.So staying there for a day or two.Nagarhole is 14 kms and kabini is 35 kms from Tholpetty.I may make a dash to both places or one of them and then make it to Masinagudi.Hoping to get a safari at Bandipur and get back to Trivandrum.

Regards

Thread Information