ContactUs

User Tag List

Thread: Wild Elephants Go on Rampage, Photographer Killed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Default Wild Elephants Go on Rampage, Photographer Killed

Unfortunate and Crazy.... have a look at the pics.
    Rgds
    Roopak

Bangalore: Wild Elephants Go on Rampage, Photographer Killed

Daijiworld Media Network - Bangalore

Bangalore, Jan 8: One person was killed in an attack of wild elephants that strayed into Mantapa village, Anekal here on Saturday January 7.

The deceased is Jamburu Soorappa Ramesh, aged around 40. He was an amateur wildlife photographer, and was attacked when he got too close to a wild elephant to click pictures of the attack

Eyewitnesses said that Ramesh ventured too close to the elephants despite warning from others, and one of the elephants started chasing him. While running for his life, he tripped and his camera flew from his hands. He tried to catch it, and at the same time was attacked by the elephant. However, sources said that he might have died of shock, as there were no signs of fatal injuries on his body.

Over a dozen wild elephants strayed into the village at around 3 pm. People as well as media watched the elephants from a distance, and warned Ramesh not to go nearer. However, in his enthusiasm, he slipped away without their notice.

Ramesh, a native of Shimoga, was an employee of IBM, Manyata Tech Park near Nagavara and resided in Kumaraswamy layout. He was married to Yashoda.

The body was taken to Victoria Hospital for autopsy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Unfortunate incident. In their enthusiasm people don't realise that elephants can run much faster than us. For further details about elephant behaviour I suggest people check this: Elephant behaviour during Attack - Indiawilds: Land of the Tiger. Conservation, Wildlife Photography, Communities

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)

It is a very sad incident.We do not realise that an elephant is much faster than human being on flat ground or in climbing up.It is only slower when coming down a steep slope.It is a failing on our part to educate our own people.
    In Corbett, one famous naturalist found a rare bird and was trying to photograph it.While approaching on foot with his eyes focussed on the bird he unfortunately landed himself on a sleeping tiger lying in the undergrowth.
    In South India (I can not exactly remember,may be in Bandipur/Mudumalai),unfortunately a photographer tried to move closer to the nest of a King Cobra on foot to click an image.The mate which was somewhere nearby noticed the intrusion and immediately struck.
    SaktiWild
    Just think about these three situations:
    1.You are on foot,suddenly a Rhino charges.
    2.You notice an Indian Cobra climbing up your leg.
    3.Assume Khairi(tigress-brought up by Late Shri & Smt.S.Roychoudhury-Ex.Field Director, Simlipal T.R. )suddenly rushes and puts her paws on your chest.

Thread Information