ContactUs

User Tag List

Thread: Tigress Gowri - Bandipur

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Tigress Gowri - Bandipur

Photographed this today at Bandipur. Its was nice to see this tigress with her four cubs.

Canon 50D, 100-400 mm L IS USM, ISO 400, f6.3, 1/125, hand held, full frame

comments and critiques welcome..
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Regards,
    Mrudul Godbole

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow! Was waiting to see the images from this trip. The image has come out exceptionally well, details and light too is good. However the colors on the shoulders appear a bit unnatural, reasons could be light or in PP. This tigress is the most photographed at Bandipur Tiger Reserve and so are her cubs.
    Since the light is nicely falling on her face you could have tried under-exposing, alternatively it can still be done in PP. It will give a nice spot light effect. Did you get to photograph the entire family in one frame. Will look forward to see more images from this trip.

Lastly did you get a chance to see my wall fully framed with cats pictures at the restaurant.
    tfs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)

Nice pose, nice image.Durgesha-nandini Gouri has been protecting her cubs so well.God bless them All.Thanks for sharing.SaktiWild

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Nice one. The eye contact is good. The morning light was phenomenal and the tigers were moving from shadow to light. In this case there was side lighting and back has shadows. I don't think there is any special post processing done to the shoulder area. I was busy in filming and often my tele lens was long for the situation and I had to use the 70-200 lens.

Reducing the exposure to darken the shadow areas and keeping the lighted areas appearing as a spot light, has been done to death in the many internet photosharing sites. Better to avoid something which has become cliched.

The moment we saw the tigress and cubs the jeep driver called up and informed others. And within 10 mins, the mayhem started. There was one spot from where we could see the tigress and her cubs drinking water. Immediately other jeeps came and one bus also stopped there. The photographers from the other jeep jumped into our jeep, without having the courtesy of asking us, and tried to madly click. The tourists from the bus got down and climbed the bund in an attempt to photograph the tigress with a point and shoot camera. No wonder that the tigress and cubs ran away. Another instance of wildlife tourism proving counter productive.

Cheers,
    Sabyasachi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lovely image of the tigress. Its a nice pose and she seems casual. She appears a bit bulky as compared to other images of her seen before. Do tigresses also go through postpartum conditions??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lovely image,nice that she is looking towards you.........
    Visiting Bandipur this march,wish she gives me the chance to click her.
    I came to know that there is route system being followed for safaries in bandipur now a days.Is it true
    TFS
    Suraj.S

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Praveen Siddannavar View Post
    However the colors on the shoulders appear a bit unnatural, reasons could be light or in PP.
    tfs
    Praveen, I have only done the minimal processing in Lightroom. As per IndiaWilds standards, I try to maintain the essence of the image as it is by only doing the basic adjustments required.

Suraj, The route system is only in Kabini, it is not in Bandipur. I hope it is not implemented in Bandipur.

Thanks all for the comments.
    Regards,
    Mrudul Godbole

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Mrudul for the clarifications. The route system was implemented for couple of weeks at Bandipur and was stopped due to road works, it is likely to start again

Sabyasachi it is unfortunate that you have experienced such incidents again at Bandipur, ideally you should have reported the matter at DFO's office and to JLR mgr Sunil. I'm surprised that guests from jeep and bus have off boarded. Was the bus belonging to JLR or dept bus? If you wish you can mail me the your jeep drivers name, I will take it up.

Fortunately for me I have never come across such behaviors by guests.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Praveen, the tigress and cubs were drinking water at Minister Gutti (I hope I have spelled the name correctly.). As you know it has a raised wall, so we were standing in the gypsy and photographing as the tigress was on the other side. One more gypsy from JLR came and stood behind us. There were 3-4 wildlife photographers in that (carrying 500mm lenses) so I think they were quite regulars (and I had also seen them talking with JLR people), so they should be aware of all the rules and regulations. Some of them got down and got in our gypsy from behind us. One from another JLR gypsy which was after the forest dept van walked all the way and came and tried to get in the front in our gypsy. Some people got down from the forest dept Van (1-2 ladies, followed by more people) and they directly walked over the wall to see the tigress. Seeing the lady on the bund wall, the tiger cub was started and immediately disappeared. I was not able to get any sharp images with so much commotion for the tigress or cub drinking water. I had not seen such things happening in Bandipur before, but this was really a bad experience. Since we were in a hurry to leave, we didn't go to the DCF.
    Regards,
    Mrudul Godbole

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Looks nice. good eye contact. seems in her prime.

It is disgusting to see people with this condescending attitude of sensitivity and compliance at convenience.... lot more dangerous than plain ignorance. They strut around wearing camouflage clothes or carrying expensive lens and given a chance will lecture other on ethical behavior inside a protected area but give them a scene to draw rave reviews on the net, all ethics will disappear without a trace. With wildlife tourism becoming a fad this sort of jokers are all over the place. Bandipur or anywhere else. You should have lodged a complaint.

TFS
    Roopak

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Roopak, I totally agree with you. As Sabyasachi had a flight to catch, we had to rush back to Bangalore.
    Regards,
    Mrudul Godbole

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very nice to know you got good sightings at bandipur. Good that you got her in full view without obstructions. I would have liked more space to the right and lesser to the left. Also, I still think I agree with Praveen about intentionally underexposing.

It may have been hundreds of times, but it has been done because many people think it looks good that way. End of the day, most of us try to make pictures that will impress and impact the most number of viewers. While exposing the image for overall brightness like in this case looks good, there may be no harm in trying the other thing too. Personally, I think the ISO could have been pushed up to 640 for better shutter speed.

Cheers
    Bhargava

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Default Artist creates for himself/herself

That is a big big difference in thought process. And I don't blame you or other newbiesfor that.

An artist creates art for himself or herself. He/she paints, composes, sings or
    photographs for himself or herself.

It is important to have your own vision. Originality is important. There have been thousands of photographers following the path you are suggesting, without success. One can't change a person's approach. The only thing I would say is follow your heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Bhargava Srivari View Post
    Also, I still think I agree with Praveen about intentionally underexposing.

It may have been hundreds of times, but it has been done because many people think it looks good that way. End of the day, most of us try to make pictures that will impress and impact the most number of viewers.

Cheers

Thread Information