Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Nikon vs Canon.... confused between two

Hey all,
    M a nikon pns user... goin to buy an slr mostly nikon d5100. but as i am goin through the forum i am seeing that this forum users are fond and using canon wrt nikon... may i know the reason behind using canon, not nikon...

since i am goin to buy an slr, i would like to purchase once and for all....

i have also read some threads and comments where people have posted that canon lenses are cheaper than nikon but i found nikon is building cheaper lense that canon... a 70-300 f4.5-5.6 nikon is costing 29k whereas in canon the same lens is around 40k though quality and work both remains the same... i have a latest catalog mentioning the latest prices and on basis of this i am writing this thread...

I got to know the reason behind using canon and not nikon...

hope that you people will answer my question and clear a major doubt that in this world exist.. and not me many beginners are confused about it....

Please help...

Rgds
    Nikhil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Canon Vs Nikon is always a big debate and people really get fired up and abuse each other. So don't want to open up a pandora's box.

In India there used to be a big fan following when I started serious photography 20 yrs back. At that time Canon was not so well known. When Canon first introduced the AF (Auto Focus) and then introduced Image Stabilisation, many photographers shifted to canon and it became the leading photographic brand world wide. India still had the loyal Nikon bunch of followers.

Earlier Canon's low light performance was much much better than Nikon. Then Nikon slowly came up and its cameras and lenses now are as good. Generally Nikon used to be costlier than Canon till Canon launched its new line of Telephoto lenses like 400 f2.8 IS II USM, 500mm f4 L IS II USM, 600mm f4 L IS II USM. The later two lenses have been announced but yet to be available for sale and hence the street prices will later fall and stabilise.

If you are buying the top of the line Nikon cameras then you will get good quality. If you are buying the entry level, then it is a different matter.

Canon has also established their Level 4 service centres in most of the major towns. So no issues in getting lenses repaired, if you unintentionally drop or mishandle.

I don't want to get into specifics. I do have a relation with Canon but I buy all my Canon cameras and lenses on my own hard earned money. And no one else here is sponsored. If you find people using Canon, it is because the cameras are good and trustworthy. One will not spend tens of lakhs of rupees in a brand if you don't trust it.

Sabyasachi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default was a great thought

thnx sir. it was a great thought of yours....

since i was willing to buy one i was really confused......

problem solved...

thnx a lot sir...

and sir please help me advice on this thread....

Need Advice And Suggestions.... - Indiawilds: Land of the Tiger. Conservation, Wildlife Photography, Communities

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default need suggestion regarding nikon 300 f4

though most the users here belong to canon pole,i wud like to hear some expert statements regarding nikon gears.i hv been using sigma APO DG macro 70-300 since last 7months.i knw its a crappy piece of glass bt it delivers as per itsi cant afford a 300 2.8 or ny of its big brothers.nikkor 300 f4 currently tops my list.i hv been using nikon d3100.i hv come across the pros and cons of this lense over net.i hv few questions
    1)it doesnt hv VR nd i prefer handhold..how is it without support?
    2)i hv seen many stunning images shot with this lense bt with better body(d300s),,sud i change body rt now or carry on with d3100
    3)how does it perform with 1.4 teleconv with entry level dslrs?
    4)IF NYBODY OWNS THIS LENSE PLZ SHARE SOME SHOTS WITH EXIF DATA AND BODY DETAILS
    I M A NEWBIE...PLZ HELP

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

The short forms that you have used make for some difficult reading.

Writing with capslock on ie. in all capital letters is akin to screaming.

I guess you are talking about the Nikon 300 f4 without VR? It is a good lens. Since it is without the VR, you need to look at your handholding skills.

I had checked with a known person's 300 f2.8 old lens without VR. And it was good. However, specifically about this lens, you need to wait for members who use Nikon.

Better camera bodies will give you more bells and whistles ie. more options. However, quality of lens remains the same. It is important to master the techniques with this lens, till you become more serious and can provide more budget towards photography.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First of all, I have not read all the replies. My apologies if I am writing something that has already been told.

If your budget is low and you are just starting, I'd suggest canon. The reason for this is, canon's lower end lenses (even the mid range lenses like 300 f4) perform better than nikon counterparts. If you are talking of lenses of the class of a 300 2.8 or 500 f4, then it is another story. In that case, it will boil down to one's personal preference and comfort levels with the system. In fact, a few months ago, I too was in a dilemma of choosing between the canon 300 f/2.8 L IS II USM/ 500 f/4 L IS II USM and nikon ED 200-400 f/4 VR II or 500 f/4 ED VR II . I decided to get the canon because of its lighter weight and hence more easier to lug around when travelling.

Cheers and happy buying.
    Bhargava

Thread Information