ContactUs

User Tag List

Thread: A heart wrenching picture

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default A heart wrenching picture

When I see most rivers do bone dry from March to June,due to more and more demands on them by humans,what about the repercursions on animals,birds,insects,fish,who are made to pay for mans follies?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://11thhouraction.com/

It's 11.59 and the clock is ticking.

The documentary, the 11th Hour was on HBO again yesterday.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

AB I went to the link you posted (11th hour action) but couldn't quite understand what it is about. Could you please tell me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

" Leonardo DiCaprio's The 11th Hour is a feature length documentary concerning the environmental crises caused by human actions and their impact on the planet. "The 11th Hour" documents the cumulative impact of these actions upon the planet's life systems and calls for restorative action through a reshaping of human activity. With the help of over fifty of the world's most prominent thinkers and activists, including reformer Mikhail Gorbachev, physicist Stephen Hawking, and Nobel Prize winner Wangari Maathai, “The 11thHour" documents the grave problems facing the planet's life systems. Global warming, deforestation, mass species extinction, and depletion of the oceans' habitats are all addressed, and their causes rooted in human activity. The combination of these crises call into question the very future not of the planet, but of humanity.

However, the most powerful element of The 11th Hour is not a portrait of a planet in crisis, but the offering of hope and solutions. Scientists and environmental advocates such as David Orr and Gloria Flora paint a portrait for a radically new and exciting future in which humanity seeks not to dominate the earth's life systems, but to mimic them and coexist. The 11th Hour calls for a future now within our grasp that is both sustainable and healthier."

http://wip.warnerbros.com/11thhour/mainsite/site.html

http://www.indianwildlifeblog.com/20...11th-hour.html

Hope this helps,

Apana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

No, I have watched the film, but the link seems to have no relation to it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Arjun,
    Where was this image clicked? I have seen lot of perennial streams running dry. During my treks even the tribals have been surprised, as they had never found these streams drying.

We are not realising it. We are not realising our follies. And even if we are realising, we are doing nothing.

A majority of our hills are denuded. Our tribals used to live in harmony with our forests and wildlife. With increased population, diversifying food habits, increased demands on resource collection for trade rather than for self consumption, clearing forests for cultivation of cash crops etc our tribals are no longer in peace with our wilderness areas. If the hills are devoid of trees, how will the rain water percolate and recharge the ground water and give life to the springs that are the source of our streams?

The problem before us is enormous. And time is too short.

Sabyasachi

Thread Information