ContactUs

User Tag List

Thread: Coimbatore Mayor Terrorises NGOs for stopping treefelling

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Default Coimbatore Mayor Terrorises NGOs for stopping treefelling

It seems democracy is indeed in danger. The latest stab at democracy comes from the Mayor of Coimbatore Thiru SM Velusamy. A special resolution has been passed to initiate criminal proceedings against NGOs who stop tree felling.

No one is against road widening. However, the old hard growth trees needs to be replanted. Technology is available and it needs to be done. No amount of planting saplings is going to replace one old hard growth tree. So if the mayor is serious then he has to ensure that the trees are replanted.

I am sharing a news article that was published in TOI.
    Sabyasachi

Coimbatore mayor threatens NGOs on tree-felling
    TNN | Apr 28, 2012, 03.20AM IST
    COIMBATORE: Giving a new twist to the ongoing war of words between the city corporation and green activists over felling of trees for road widening works, mayor SM Velusamy on Friday passed a special resolution in the corporation council to initiate criminal proceedings against NGOs who stop tree felling to facilitate development works. The resolution comes a day after a city court issued a stay against felling to widen Marudhamalai Road.

The resolution said the permission of the collector, who is chairman of the tree protection committee, and revenue divisional officer, is acquired before city trees are cut. But certain NGOs take the law into their own hands and stop authorities from carrying out developmental activities. The resolution empowered the corporation to approach the police and take action against NGOs.

"Certain NGOs don't practice what they advocate. They don't even take care of plants and trees at their premises. They should set an example for others. They should not take the law in their hands. Instead they can approach relevant authorities to resolve issues," said Velusamy.

The mayor said it was mandatory to cut trees on Marudhamalai Road. "We have told the NGOs to approach higher authorities to put forth their grievances, instead of forcibly stopping felling activities. We are prepared to answer any questions that the public have. NGOs have vested interests. Also, we will plant saplings for every tree cut," he said.

Corporation deputy opposition leader and DMK councillor of ward 61 SM Samy said, "Sometimes, trees need to be cut for developmental works. However, since the corporation has substantial reserve sites in the city, they plant 50 trees for every one cut. They need to plant more than they cut."

"We are shocked about the resolution which threatens our green cover. We are not gangsters. There is no reason to put us in jail. I am yet to see a copy of the resolution. I will decide on how to proceed in the next three to four days," said R Karpagam of Oli Awareness Movement, a petitioner in the Marudhamalai Road tree cutting case.

Another activist, who wished to remain anonymous, said, "We are not against development. The Marudhamalai Road definitely needs to be four-laned. But all we are asking is for a relook into the number of trees that need to be cut. We want authorities to see if some can be saved. On Mettupalayam Road, Avinashi Road and Tiruchi Road, many tree stumps stand on pavements. These trees need not have been cut at all."

The source news article can be found here: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/h...w/12904020.cms

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Having lived in Coimbatore for the last 4 years, I can definitely relate to what has been lost here. Over 3500 trees felled in the name of development. Maximum summer temperatures has risen from 31°C in 2008 to 42°C last month. Water shortage, power outages, soaring heat are some of the things that we have to endure other than corrupt politicians, bureaucrats and mindless real estate developers.

All the wetlands are highly polluted and the civic authorities turn a blind eye or cite financial problems for their inefficiency. Though we have been fighting tooth and nail to protect environment here, those in power and the rich only see us as thorns in the flesh which need to be nipped.
    S. Suraj Kumaar
    Wildlife enthusiast and fishy freak.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Tree felling is an unfortunate thing that is happening. Hard growth trees are felled and nobody accounts for those logs. Its a mafia out there. To divert protests they routinely say that saplings are being planted. No amount of saplings can replace the carbon sequestration properties of a hard growth tree.

We need to document, good if gps readings are available.

Thread Information