User Tag List

Thread: Sloth bears

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Sloth bears

These sloth bears have a reputation for being lazy creatures,
    but when they decide to behave the other way, they can be swift and entertaining
    Posting from Daroji after an evening of fantastic bear watching, and a morning of fabulous bird watching
    f/14, ISO 800, EV +0.3, 105mm, full frame.
    canon EOS 60D, canon EF 24-105 f/4 L IS USM
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Bhargava

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Nice to see so many sloth bears together.

But I believe what the FD here is doing is not right. Many wildlife resorts in other parts are also actively baiting wild animals to showoff to their guests.The effects of baiting on wild animals is not adequately understood. I personally feel this is bound to have ill effects in the long run.

TFS
    Roopak

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

These sloth bears are licking the honey and jaggery. The forest department is continuing this practice of feeding them. What is the point in placing banana and other fruits etc. They should look at improving the habitat quality. I was told that initially they used to provide cooked rice etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

These guys are really cute man, good that you have got 4 in a frame. Sabyasachi sir has a point here about the forest dept. I am equally thrilled after you told me about the amount of avian presence in the area and am really looking forward to visit this place soon.
    [url]http://wildescapadesphotography.wordpress.com/[/url]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with the point raised by Roopak and Sabyasachi. We do get to see lot of sloth bears here, but it is more of a bait than a natural sighting in the jungle. I had been there a few years back when I saw that they used to apply honey on the rocks in the afternoon and then that time the bears used to come to eat. Its sad to know that practice is still continuing. Thanks for sharing.
    Regards,
    Mrudul Godbole

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

When I went to this place about 5 years back, I had no idea that they do baiting. Human intervention has to be left to a minimum. Rather than baiting, they have to find out how to increase the habitat quality so that sloth bears can get food throughout the year. Most of the times when we stop our cars in the highways to buy amla, berries, custard apple, guava etc we are only taking away food from sloth bears and others.

On the issue of baiting wildlife Dipankar had described an incident : Leopards of Bera - Indiawilds: Land of the Tiger. Conservation, Wildlife Photography, Communities

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I must categorically agree with the points raised here. It has been heartening to read all conservation related posts on Indiawilds and update myself with some news happening around the country's wildlife habitat. However, I have a feeling that with so many enthusiastic and knowledgeable members on board, being confined to mere online discussion of conservation related problems won't suffice our purpose. Isn't it about time to form a group that attempts at working on the field and helping make more efficient conservation efforts? When that happens, be sure that I will be among the first ones to bring up the case in point and try to work with the forest dept. to better the situation in Daroji.

Cheers
    Bhargava

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Bhargava,
    I agree with you. I have been thinking for a long time about the pros and cons of starting on the field activities. There have been sporadic activities like distributing IndiaWilds caps and clothing material to forest department guards etc, providing monetary help to researchers, funding/providing for PILs, RTIs etc. It is limited based on my ability to spend time and resources.

I have visualised that the forums will be the online advocacy arm and there will be a setup with people working in the field with cross-pollination of ideas leading to action at both ends.

Having said that, lets try to see the number of hits and comments in these two threads. One is a congratulatory thread about a publication of a photo in a magazine and the other about how to help a researcher.

Sponshorship requirement for a field biologist: No comments so far - Sponsorship requirement for a workshop abroad - Indiawilds: Land of the Tiger. Conservation, Wildlife Photography, Communities

Photo published: 4 responses in a day - Photo Published - Leopard & Cub/Kabini - Indiawilds: Land of the Tiger. Conservation, Wildlife Photography, Communities

However, I had a talk with Anandji regarding converting IndiaWilds to an NGO for on the field activities.

Sabyasachi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Bhargava,
    We have all met , interacted and shared a common passion and cause through India wilds. we reach out to people sitting in various corners of the country, learn and share, highlight issue of common concern and in this very process we are contributing to the cause of conservation without measuring it against a scale of popular acceptability. Even if you ignore all of the contribution from Indiawilds as mentioned by Patra sab (which I believe is basically his personal contribution) spending time and making the effort of speaking out for what you believe is right and supporting it with visual evidence which might highlight the beauty of nature, share its wonders or simply portray insensitivity of the human kind has its place when done earnestly and with passion. I don’t think I need to highlight to you the importance of spreading awareness for any cause which is as poorly understood, which gets as little media attention which has such low priority in a social or political decision making process the world across as the cause for being sensitive for mother earth. I don’t think we should be-little this.

But what made me type all this which you might consider the ravings of somebody you don’t even know is that you want to wait until Indiawilds comes together to form a conservation unit to do your part in fieldwork or something more proactive than a digital post for what you love so passionately??? And that too in a protected area?? Why Brother, does it need a stage to stand up?? Aren’t sturdy legs enough?? And if at all the need is that of collective participation shouldn’t it be some who can meet, assemble and act much more easily and regularly than a set of people spread across the country?? There is nature around us there are things which we can do for this cause right in our backyard, the question we have to ask ourselves is what have we done for that?? Does commitment for conservation or love for nature have its place only in a National parks and Reserve forests? Is an act sacred only if for the cause of a tiger, elephant or sloth bear??? What about the parks, limited grooves , villages around our cities. What about the wetlands and non descript hills on the fringes ?? don’t you think we can do a lot more for these last resorts for the lesser creatures than simply limiting our contributions to once in a while act of a volunteer in a conservation effort in a protected area. Not that we shouldn’t do it but our lives, life styles, jobs, compulsions will severely restrict the quantum and more importantly the quality of our contributions for these locations which are geographically so distant and more so for a set of people who are in various corners of the country. I believe we still should make those contributions whenever we can but shouldn’t wait for somebody or someone to kick start it in a place which has its set of legal and procedural limitations as it will perhaps only serve as a good excuse for not doing our bit around ourselves and then offering a conditional muscle for service as and when somebody overcomes the legal overbearing hulk of the state in a protected area.

All this aside if your post has triggered a discussion on baiting on a forum which reaches a lot of people you have done a lot more than a intended action for the cause of sloth bears in Daroji which in all probability will never materialise. Whether that was anticipated or not..Believe me iv seen that change in a little village where from absolute indifference there are atleast 50 people who will pay attention to a bird which looks rare and keep night watch in turns to catch porcupine poachers. And if your are keen on field contribution do let me know…. nothing as glamorous as sloth bears and their feeding habits but you will do your bit. And as the saying goes whether someone believes you have succeeded or not you can still stand up and say “ I Tried”..…

Good night and Goodluck…
    Roopak

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Roopak,
    I think that is a point put forth which is more than apt and relevant. As 'Photographers' we are often myopic about the entire purpose of the effort. We often forget that what we are capturing is only there because that is how God had meant it to be and that it is only in our hands that we ensure that it stays the way it is if not strive to improve it.

Selfish and Cowardly would only be weak words to say if I mention that I am a Wildlife Photographer and Conservation is not my job but someone else's.

Let's be very honest with ourselves. We are photographers only because there are people who have been doing their job more than well enough to ensure that nature is preserved and it is only fair that they have the helping hand in whatever form it might be.

In line with what Roopak mentioned, we don't have to be Billy Arjan Singh or Fateh Singh Rathore to be a conservationist, but having the will and the heart to be one is what is the need of the hour.

A small anecdote to put forth my point: There is a particular person who I interacted with when I was in Goa and grew very fond of. He is a person who has grown up in the Chorla Ghats and loves it as his family. You see him smiling each time he is there, just knowing that he is at peace at home. The amount of effort he has put in for conservation and discovery in those hills is extraordinary. Not much is known about these mountains and a great number of flora and fauna in the place is still undiscovered and undocumented. Yet, it hasn't deterred him from making every single effort whether he has people behind him or not. Why is he doing it? For photographers like you and me? Or is it because it is necessary to do so for understanding how beautiful and enigmatic nature really is?

His name is Nirmal Kulkarni as some might have guessed and has worked for the discovery of various species of smaller fauna in the region.

I can lecture longer, but knowing that I have not done anything substantial till date for conservation but for some remote efforts here and there, I should keep mum. But what I realise is that it is important that people who are working in the fields get our support and we at the same time do our little bit in whatever form it might be.
    Regards,
    Bibhav Behera
    www.bibhavbehera.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Friends,

Many thanks for the few insightful words My personal opinion on the issue is that not all of them would know where to and when to and how to start conservation; all of us aren't equally aware of the oppurtunities. Hence, I'd still want a on the field conservation group to be formed just so that there is a proper direction in which the resources of IW are used.

Cheers
    Bhargava

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sabyasachi Patra View Post
    Sponshorship requirement for a field biologist: No comments so far - Sponsorship requirement for a workshop abroad - Indiawilds: Land of the Tiger. Conservation, Wildlife Photography, Communities

However, I had a talk with Anandji regarding converting IndiaWilds to an NGO for on the field activities.

Sabyasachi
    Sir,
    is there any posiballity to raise the fund through IW & same tobe used as a part of sponsorship. If that is the case pl let me know. I am ready to transfer online to the best of my ability.

Kind Regards
    Prasad

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

My reason for posting that is to find if someone knows or can find a charitable organisation who can be of help. If members, want to contribute then it is fine with me. Let me know whatever you can contribute, and I will top up with my own contribution.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Prasad Dingankar has now contributed towards sponsoring the biologist for the workhshop.

It would be good if others can also contribute whatever amount that is suitable to them.

I will mention the names of the people who contribute and also the amount if requested accordingly. I will pay the balance amount to make it 500 pounds and pay online for the online registration.

Sabyasachi
    PS: I will update in the other thread as well

Thread Information