Thread: Sathyamangalam to house fourth tiger reserve in State

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Sathyamangalam to house fourth tiger reserve in State

Sathyamangalam to house fourth tiger reserve in State
    CHENNAI, May 15, 2012

Sathyamangalam will be the State's fourth tiger reserve with the government promising to create a new reserve for the big cats spread over 1.40 lakh hectares from the present sanctuary limits.

Replying to the discussion on the demands for grants for the Forest Department, Minister K.T. Pachamal said that the government notified 1,41,161 hectares of reserve forests in Sathyamangalam as a wildlife sanctuary in August 2011.

To protect the sanctuary and the tiger habitat, it decided to create the fourth tiger reserve on 1,40,924 hectares through notification. The State has three tiger reserves in Mudumalai, Anaimalai and Kalakad-Mundanthurai. The tiger count in the State at present is 163 and the number is steadily going up in the Sathyamangalam reserve forests.

A forest research centre would be established at Vandalur Arignar Anna Zoological Park at a cost of Rs.34.24 crore with the State's own funds. This would be expanded with financial assistance from the Centre and upgraded to a Rs.74.37 crore research facility.

A butterfly park would be created near Srirangam at a cost of Rs.8.67 crore on a 10 hectares in the Upper Anicut reserve forest.

To prevent man-animal conflict, Rs.10 crore would be spent in seven districts this year from the allotted Rs.44.13 crore for four years beginning this fiscal. The Chief Minister had given consent for new legislation to prevent the felling of trees in non-forest areas, including government lands such as roadsides. A committee would be formed to ensure that ten trees were planted for every tree cut.
    Regards,
    Mrudul Godbole

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)

I went through my note book and found that before 09th. August,2011 Satyamangalam-Moyasegur was recommended by NTCA to the State to put up the proposal for consideration for elevating it to a tiger reserve.

Subsequently, in principle, approval was accorded by NTCA before 22nd.Nov,2011 for Satyamangalam only.

I am happy that things are moving and sincerely hope that the formalities (quite a lot) between the Central Govt. and the State Govt. will be completed at an early date and final approval be given by NTCA and notification be issued by the State Government for declaring it as a Tiger Reserve.

Could someone enlighten us what could be the possible reason for excluding Moyasegur habitat.Human settlement, mining,tree felling rights,plantation,old lease etc?

Thanks to Madam Mrudul for sharing the infrmation.
    SaktiWild

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Saktipadaji is spot on. Indeed the Segur-Moyar region is the best (in the landscape) habitat for large mammal conservation and it is very disappointing to note that the region is still a multiple use RF and not a PA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)

Many thanks Lakshminararayan Bhai for updating my information base.On an earlier occasion also, you did the same,I remember.Kind regards,SaktiWild

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)

Default List of Tiger Reserves/Project Tiger Areas in the Country

At a time when shocking news are pouring in about soaring unnatural deaths of Tigers during first five months of 2012, I may share that Hon'ble Minister of State (Independent Charge) for Environment and Forests, Shrimati Jayanti Natarajan , in her written reply to one query raised in the Rajya Sabha, inter alia, submitted that there were 41 Tiger Reserves/Project Tiger areas in the country AS ON 15-MAY-2012.
    Sl.No:
    39.Sahyadri (Maharashtra) 2009-10
    40.B.R.Hills (Karnataka) 2011-12
    41.Kawal (A.P) 2012-13

Inclusion of Kawal is a good news.

Satyamangalam(TN),Pilibhit(UP),Sunabeda(Orissa), Mukundara Hills(including Darrah,Jawahar Sagar and Chambal),Ratapani(MP) still remain in the NTCA ,in principle, approved list.

SaktiWild
    Last edited by Saktipada Panigrahi; 05-06-2012 at 10:43 AM.

Thread Information