ContactUs

User Tag List

Thread: Bengal forest dept initiative on Sunderbans

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Bengal forest dept initiative on Sunderbans

The proposal is part of the first serious initiative to transform the tourist scene in the Sunderbans that is currently nothing more than picnic tourism. A majority of the 3 lakh visitors who go to the Sunderbans do so to have fun without bothering about the ecology. During the day, they feast on board, litter the creeks and rivers with thermocol plates and plastic bottles and dancing to loud music at night while the boat is anchored mid-river.

""We want to end irresponsible tourism and promote eco-tourism in the Sunderbans. To do so, we need the cooperation of all stakeholders. This is a clarion call for all-NGOs; tour operators; boat and lodge owners-to partner with the forest department and create awareness on the need to preserve the region's ecology while conducting tourism activities,"" Sunderban Biosphere Reserve director Pradeep Vyas told a stakeholders' meeting in the city on Monday.

Source of the report : TOI report

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for sharing this news.

The Sundarbans Tiger Reserve, created in 1973, was originally a part of the then 24-Parganas Division. Subsequently the area comprising of the present tiger reserve was constituted as Reserve Forest in 1978. Why does it take the authorities close to 4 decades to introduce such Eco-friendly initiatives is anybody's guess.

Man-Animal conflict is a major area of concern at Sunderbans since the villagers have traditionally been dependent on forest produce for their livelihood. The authorities seem to have alienated the local villagers and irresponsible tourism has just made matters worse.

As Julian Matthews (Founder of TOFT) rightly says, ecotourism needs to be spread further and wider, opening up greater areas of India’s parks, sanctuaries and reserve forests to responsible and well managed tourism, at the same time as ensuring that poor quality tourism is not allowed, and communities living next to or within forests have a greater stakeholding in their management and the economic benefits that result.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Unfortunately, the "eco" word in ecotourism is lacking in India. In sharp contrast, there are many things to learn as far as ecotourism is concerned from the so called undeveloped countries from Africa. I had done an analysis of ecotourism in Botswana and the learnings. IndiaWilds Newsletter Vol. 2 Issue IV

During our last visit in Aprile, I could find lot of plastics floating in the water. I am told that during Durga Puja and in the winter there is hardly any space to move the launch. People are not aware of the pitfalls of throwing polythene bags, plastic cups and plates etc. We even found a pillow floating.

Sundarbans is such an awesome place. It needs to be protected at any cost.

Sabyasachi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Absolutely Sabyasachi. I found Sunderbans to be too populous to avoid human -tiger conflict and pollution issues. Urban mass think it as picnic spot and all sort of nuisances go unabated.
    Even if we try to aware people of not throwing the used plates, cups etc the sharp comments actually demoralises the volunteers who work hard to keep it clean. Same thing happens in Kolkata city too. They do not believe that we can make individual impact on cleanliness, sustainable ecology.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it is the case in all our national parks. Everywhere we can find people who visit jungles as if they were in some parks and litter around. There are so many cases when people stop and have lunches on the roads passing through reserves as if that was a picnic spot. They litter and also feed deers or monkeys. There was a discussion on this issue of people thinking they were in a Park as we say 'National Parks'. It can be seen here - http://www.indiawilds.com/forums/sho...=national+park
    When we visited Sunderban last month, I heard that permission for parking the launch at night had been stopped. So people cant spend the night in the launch but have to return back to the guest house.
    Regards,
    Mrudul Godbole

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rightly said Sabyasachiji & Subhajit,

Like most protected areas in India, apparently the erstwhile pristine Sunderbans is being blatantly abused and it seems we are waiting for another disaster to happen. It is disheartening as well as appalling to see educated people being so insensitive towards nature. Hope there is a silver lining in the cloud.

Thread Information