Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Royal Bengal Tigress meets gruesome end in Arunachal

Royal Bengal Tigress meets gruesome end in Arunachal
    Updated: Wednesday, September 26, 2012, 15:10 [IST]

Itanagar, Sept 26: The brutal death of a Royal Bengal Tigress inside a zoo in Itanagar, the capital city of Arunachal Pradesh, has raised several questions regarding the safety of animals inside zoos spread across the country.
    Currently, India is trying hard to increase its depleting tiger population in its various wildlife sanctuaries.
    A group of poachers entered the zoo and hacked a Royal Bengal tigress to death, said sources.
    The incident at the Itanagar zoo-cum-botanical garden took place on Sunday, Sept 23 between 8 pm and 9 pm when three guards were out for dinner, added sources. The fourth guard was said to be on leave.
    The killing of the tigress by poachers was nothing less than horrific.
    Zoo officials said the tigress was first shot in the forehead. Later the miscreants chopped off its abdomen before fleeing from the spot. Two empty cases were recovered from its skull during autopsy on Tuesday.
    Zoo officials are saying the miscreants took advantage of the absence of guards.
    But many are questioning as how could poachers enter inside a highly secured area like a zoo.
    "Its a tragic day for us. We have lost one of our most loved animals in the zoo," rued R Ringu, deputy chief conservator of forest (wildlife). "They probably came to hunt a tiger, but killed a tigress by mistake," added Ringu.
    A tiger's vital organs are in great demand globally and can fetch up to $50,000 in the international black market.
    Although officials are claiming to take severe action against the culprits, however, so far, no arrests are being made in the case. The slain animal, Oni, was one of the six tigers at the zoo. Oni was born in the zoo in 2006.
    Itanagar Zoo was established in 1987. The zoo is located around 8-km away from the city. The zoo is spread over 250-hectare-land.
    Regards,
    Mrudul Godbole

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[QUOTE=Mrudul Godbole;53433]Royal Bengal Tigress meets gruesome end in Arunachal
    Updated: Wednesday, September 26, 2012, 15:10 [IST]

Although officials are claiming to take severe action against the culprits, however, so far, no arrests are being made in the case.

There was a similar case in Hyderabad a few years back. No one knows the status of the case.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dear Sir,

With all due respect I would like to point out to you that in your latest news letter (Vol. 5, Issue 1) you have written an article on Exotic Wildlife as Pets.

I agree to most of what you have said but there is just one small issue ! Instead of banning everything it should be regulated and regulated properly. Because banning something will mean that people do it illegally and that will only give rise to more bribery and corruption and also animals and birds will have to be smuggled so they will be kept hidden in small and mediocre cages.

Your idea of maintaining a registry with licensing is very good but that should be done to keep a check on breeding and trade instead of banning that also !! If we register and give a license to breed exotic species for trade then it will automatically reduce imports from the wild !

Another thing is that zoos are the worst thing in the world as your this article just states whereas you've written that if someone wants to donate exotic birds to the zoos they should be accepted.

I feel that people if taught properly can take care of animals better than zoos. Of course this goes only for acceptable species as pets.

This is just my honest opinion and I felt I should draw your attention towards it.

Regards,
    Divyaraj.

Thread Information