It all boils down to habitat protection. A healthy habitat is the insurance for a thriving wildlife population.

Jairam Ramesh is a smart, erudite politician and has been making all the right noises. There was an element of bravado in the Cheetah relocation plan, but I believe its an earnest initiative from the Minister.

This is definitely a welcome change from the moribund state of the MoEF in the previous administration. But as Sabyasachi, Bibhav pointed out, strict action needs to be taken to reverse the spiralling loss of habitat for our wildlife.

The Gangetic Dolphin is indeed at the crux of the conservation story in India.

The Ganges is an Indian cultural institution. Since the ages she has been the genesis of an entire civilization. But that had its downside too - Ganges has also been at the receiving end; be it the melting glaciers of Himalayas, industrial waste, human waste etc being dumped into this river indiscriminately.

Rivers are more dynamic and hence the ecological impact on them spread that much faster. Hence, I am worried about the Gangetic Dolphin.

Project Tiger was a marquee initiative - it was supposed to rally the govt and the public to protect the Tiger and its habitat. Unfortunately the rally has been rather lopsided.

I hope making the Gangetic dolphin as India's National Aquatic Animal has more "dum" in it.