Thread: Rhinos may be extinct by 2020: Experts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Rhinos may be extinct by 2020: Experts

Rhinos may be extinct by 2020: Experts
    PTI | Apr 14, 2014, 01.49 PM IST

LONDON: Rhinoceros in the wild may be pushed to extinction by the end of this decade if their unrelenting poaching continues at the present rate, experts have warned.

The poaching of black and white rhinoceros has soared in last six years. While as 13 rhinos were slaughtered in 2007, that number spiked to 1,004 last year, experts said.

"There are now just 20,000 white rhino and 5,000 black rhino left in the wild. If poaching carries on at the rate it is now for six more years it will devastate the numbers," Will Travers, chief executive of the Born Free Foundation, said.

"There will probably be no free-living rhinos as the remaining numbers will be fenced off in military-style compounds which are alarmed and heavily guarded by armed patrols," Travers said, while speaking after attending a summit on wildlife crime in Pretoria, South Africa, recently.

Criminal gangs are making millions of pounds a year by hacking the animals to death for their horns, The 'Daily Express' reported.

These horns are used as traditional medicine in the Far East to treat ailments such as hangovers in powder form.

"Poaching is a low-penalty crime and that has to change. We need better intelligence gathering and more equipment and manpower," Travers said after the conference.
    Regards,
    Mrudul Godbole

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

If african rhino's get extinct, then one can guess the status of the Indian rhinoceros. The killing of rhinos in kaziranga was in the news last year as the poachers continued killing one rhino every couple of days. With the rainy season soon going to be upon us, the lowlands will get flooded and the rhinos will start coming out of the park boundaries falling easy prey to the poachers. Given the massive loss in the parliamentary elections, the ruling party in assam is grappling with that defeat and wildlife issues will be the farthest from their minds. I guess in such a scenario one can only pray and hope for the best.

Thread Information