ContactUs

User Tag List

Thread: Injured Mother Tigress in Magical Corbett

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Injured Mother Tigress in Magical Corbett

She is the first tiger I ever saw in Corbett. She was then about 10-13 months old, it was Easter holidays way back in 2011 in Dhikala Grassland. Her coat was burning bright. Thereafter whenever I visited Corbett, she ensured she meets us. During my last visit between 4-17 April 2014, could not sight her till 16 April, on 17th April 11 AM we were to checkout and leave for Delhi Airport. It was 9 am on 17th April, and did not cite any tiger in the morning safari. Our guide and driver knew, our trip was not complete and we were all bit unhappy as we did not see our favorite tigress "Sundari". Also, we were concerned about her and her cubs, learning about her recent injury. We were given to understand that porcupine quill has got embedded in her left paw.

Both, driver Rizwan and guide Vijay, @ 9 am said let us give a last try by waiting for 30 minutes, at the location where she generally hides her cubs.

We agreed and headed for the location. While we were at Ram Singh Road, we saw some gypsy's already waiting, understood that they heard Sambar and Langur calls. While talking I heard the langur giving the alarm call again, looking at the Langurs through the leaves with binocular, I gathered that the tiger was slowly moving towards the other side of Khinanauli grassland. We decided to position ourselves at Palm. No other jeeps were there, other than occasional passerby, waiting for a minute and then continued on their own venture. Time ticked by and it was about 9.40 am, when suddenly our driver asked whispering, binocular please, I looked at the direction he was looking and saw, limping but majestically our "Sundari" slowly approaching towards us from the dense grass and thick forest cover. She came as close as 25-30 m from our jeep, sat down for a drink from the ground water spring pool of Palm. Before sitting for the drink she made sure I saw her injury, she slowly turned positioning her wound directly to the camera and then waiting for a second for me to click.

After the drink, she looked at me, her eyes were trying to say, I am sorry I did not show up early during this visit and do not worry, I will tend my wound properly and will be fine soon, will meet next time with the children, then slowly vanished into the dense palm undergrowth.

I was told by our guide and driver that this was the 1st sighting of her by any one in last 14 days. In my view the wound most likely was caused by horn of Sambar or Chital stag. I was particularly relieved to see her wound was not from porcupine quills as mentioned by driver and guide, because, external trauma heals fast and permanently, but quills remains embedded, pains severely and even pus is formed / oozes out from the wound whenever the area is pressed or strained.

Nikon D700, Nikor 70-200 F2.8, shot at 200 @ F/14, ISO 6400, Exposure 1/800s
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice narrative. Good you could sight her, before your return. The palms on the left seem to be in focus, it seems the AF point is locked on that. The dense vegetation looks nice. Thanks for sharing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dear Mrudul, You are absolutely right, the focus is locked on the palm leaves. This camera was operated by my daughter or the guide. I was shooting with 300 F2.8 lens, will post picture of wound and while she was drinking water.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)

The preamble and image have evoked anxieties and worries. Sundari, the mother has chosen a perfect hide out. I may not entirely rule out the possibility that the quill has been extracted by Sundari from the paw as it was not deeply embedded to any muscle or a joint; we have to wait and see for your record exploration. Thanks for sharing.SaktiWild

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dear Saktida, I have posted the wound in another post, as mentioned the wound is not from porcupine quills that was informed to me by local Guide and our driver. In fact I had a long discussion with the ranger of the zone about it. Regards Debasis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Agree with Mrudul's comment. I am sure watching a tiger in such surroundings is a nice affair. Thanks for sharing.
    Cheers,
    Sabyasachi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I am glad you were able to rendezvous with your favourite tigress on the final day.I am sure she will be there when you visit Corbett again.The habitat shot looks lovely.Thanks for sharing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

lovely setting to sight a tiger in.Nice write up
    TFS
    Roopak

Thread Information